• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-7ZXE in combination with AMD Athlon XP 2400+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vanke014

Hello folks,

I've recently purchased a AMD Athlon XP 2400+, since I thought the motherboard would support this cpu, this was not the case.

After some searching of the Giga-Byte website I came the conclusion that the motherboard would not support this processor.

The reason for not support it was: i've a REV 1.1 mobo and only 2.x should be able to run the AMD Athlon 2400+, the funny part of it is that the AMD Athlon XP 2200+ can be ran on this motherboard. The exact core and settings. I've also tested out the AMD Athlon XP 2400+ and it's not broken or something.

Do you guys know how to make this baby work?

Thank you for reading!
Rick ;)

I cant understand how it doesnt work, unless your mobo isnt capable of setting a multi higher than 13.5x. I find that hard to believe though, if it had been higher than 12.5x I could have understood. I suppose if isnt going to work then the only way you are going to get it working is to alter the L3 bridges to drop it down to a 2200+.
Sorry for not being much help.
Hood

I used to own that mobo. What I found out was that the older boards only support the 180nm core cpu's. The newer ones are 130nm. Is it possible that your 2200 was a 180nm and your 2400 is the 130nm?

Well the 2200+ is also based on the TB 0.13 Micron core, I found out a lot later that the 2200 has to be based on the 0.18 micron core. Yet I find it hard to believe that the 0.13 micron doesn't work.

I've also submitted a Trouble Ticket to giga-byte regarding this issue.

What exactly happened when you installed it?

When I installed my Tbred in my board (which does not support Tbeds) It wouldn’t boot until I reset the CMOS, I also had to hit the reset button a few times. Once I got into the bios and set the multiplier I was OK.

Does the GA-7ZXE have jumpers or do you change multipliers from the bios?

And did you reset everything including the CPU and heat sink. You could also try taking it out of the case as it might be shorting out.

Unhook all drives and just boot with the reseated CPU ram and Video, nothing else. Do use a heat sink though:)

Back