• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-7VAXP & Athlon XP 2500+ overcloking woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

biosx

Well I have a dual-part post.

First off, I'm using a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP with an Athon XP 2500+ Barton. I've gotten it up to 2.1GHz stable but it seems extremely hot. The problem is, I am not sure how hot it is. The GA-7VAXP has an unusual temperature monitor/diode and it isn't picked up by Sandra or Motherboard Monitor. So I was wondering if anybody knows of any app's that actually can take advantage of the GA-7VAXP's temperture monitor?

Now, the second part, but is related. I am using a Volcano 9 fully cranked to cool the chip. It is decent but I know there are better out there. Some say go with Thermalright, others say stick with Thermaltake. What's everybody's opinion here?

Sorry cant help with the cooler as I dont use Air cooling on my OCed system.
But your other one im sure I can help with. Use MBM and make sure its the latest version, then use the LM90 Remote sensor for the CPU Diode.

Hood

I can comment on the volcano 9. I run one my self, but it is on a 1700+ pally. I only have it mildly OC'ed. I like the cooler and I believe you won't see much better out of air cooling. I suspect you may have some air flow issues that are causing the higher temps. Post back with what the temps are and your current air flow profile is.

Do you not have the easy tuner application that comes with the motherboard utilities? There is a temperature monitoring option that came bundled with my board utilities. IF you do and there is an issue with it plz let me know.

Ummm.... try an SLK 800... You should find a whopping temp drop. Also, the temp readings on the MBM are more or less accurate... I believe its the placement of the board and aux. sensors that give the funky readings (like right next to the PSU)

the SLK 900 is out, but for $11 more dollors over the SLK 800 im not sure the performance is there.
but no matter what, the SLK 800 and 900 are the top performing heatsink right now. of course the heatsinks required lots of airflow to perform nicely. if you dont mind noise get the highest CFM with a decient pressure fan you can find.

The 7vaxp is listed on the MBM5 website and it shows what the sensors are to be set at. Check the list, I use the 7vaxp-u and it readds temps fine.

Also if you get rid of that Volcano and get an SLK-800 - 900 you will see at least a 10c drop in temps. Once you get a good HSF on there you will get 2.3 out of that Barton all day.

Newbie here.. so if I botch up things.. no screaming lol

The program that comes with your board has all the moniters you need

its called easytune 4 or something like that... I use it to keep any eye out on my system temp..

Running that board with the Mock 2 2600 XP chip..

was sort of wondering.... just what kind of temp it should be running at standard

my system runs at around 49C and chip is sitting at 52C

what is the safe zone on the chip?
Basicaly.. im looking at trying to jump the chip just a bit and wondering if I have any temperature room to push it with.. or if I should just stick to jumping the FSB of the board a little to keep on the safe side

i guess i'm of the minority here, but i think the vaxp is a great board for mild to moderate overclocking... i have mine at xp2700 speed (166fsb), tightest ram speeds, and i'm very happy with the various features of the boards, especially the dual bios.

just a thought...

See im debating upping the system core speed.. just wondering what kind of power settings I should change to.. and what kind of heat line I should not corss.. cause I was always thinkning 60C is way to hot.. .. sorry use to a P4 rig.. that is more.. heat sensitive lol

I mean reallisticaly.. what line should I watch out for on a 2600 chip.. and the board?

High 50's is the max at load I would say, the good thing about XP's is that they will let you know if they are too hot, they will start causing probs (freezing etc)
Hood

If its not giving probs then dont be unduly worried, as I said they will usually start to play up when they get too hot. If you are going to do some OCing then you will have to look at better cooling.
Hood

So I was wondering if anybody knows of any app's that actually can take advantage of the GA-7VAXP's temperture monitor?

Get a DOC 5 unit very resonable. About 50 bucks US. Check out link below.
inflowdirect_1744_8550450

http://www.inflowdirect.com/digdoc5wit8s.html

Chef Dude

Back