• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can i cool it down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tbone

Registered
Oregon, but since when are we the linux state?
Ok.. i run idle 113*F CPU and 100'ish*F System. I have a case fan blowing air out on the side, and then in the front a case fan blowing air in. Both are 80mm. The thing is tho, im getting a 2000+ OEM and no fan/heatsink will come with it. If i use the heatsink from my Duron 1.2ghz, will the 2k overheat?

If so, then whats a low-price heatsink w/fan that is good. Mid-low noise is what i would want if i buy a new HS and adjustable would make me happy. But can my duron HS and HSF (stock) keep the XP 2000+ cool or do i have to shop for a new one?

I doubt the stock duron heatsink could handle the heat output of the 2000+. I think you should do some shopping. I'm not as in touch with the heatsink market, but there are plenty of people who will give you suggestions around here. If you want to look for yourself you can start here: www.overclockers.com/articles373

I'm afraid to say that your Duron heatsink probably won't make the cut. The sink is designed for less than 2ghz, so I don't think it would be wise to push it.

If you're looking for some good performance but not overclocking, check out Cooler Master's X-Dream (HAC-V81) ... It looks kinda nice and performs surprisingly well... Plus you can adjust the speed (and therefore the sound level too).

If your case has room for a 80mm fan in the rear, I would put a 80mm exhaust fan there and put the side fan to blow air into the case.

if u want to risk your new proc to die then go ahead and use teh duron hsf. If you do go out and get a new hsf u should get xdream for budget wise. It is a pretty good hsf for teh money

I have an 2000+ and it ran quite hot, around 55 idle and 60+ at load on a good day. I replaced my stock hs with a Vantec Aeroflow with AS3 and now my temps are around 37 idle and 43 at load. I have 2 front intake, 1 side intake, 1 rear exhaust and 1 blowhole fans. Had all the fans prior to the Aeroflow being installed. The noise is decent, and it's has one of those newer fans without the motor in the middle.

If you're not Ocing it, then those 2 would be okay. If you want to get a good OC out of it, the SK-7 with your choice of fan (I recommend the Tt Smart fan II) is the way to go if you're on a budget.

BTW, http://www.svc.com has good prices.

Back