• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much does it cost to run a Promethia?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreammmatt

as title says, i was wondering, how much does it cost to run a promethia?

[and if you want to answer another question...]
I am wondering, because I am considering making a direct-die phase-change unit out of say, an old dehumidifier, and was wondering how the cost-to-run compares. How would that compare to using a window ac unit? there are different settings on them, so, considering that...

edit: I am thinking of waterchilling though, I think it would be easier, let me chill the northbridge too, and dont have to run the thing as much.

How much does it cost to run one? Techically, after the initial buying cost, it should cost nothing except the electricity bill.

As for how much to buy one, I believe the number was in the region of $800. As for making one yourself, the cost to make one depends entirely upon how many tools you will need to aquire. The compressor, condensor, evapourator, oils, refigerants and capillary tube together can all be bought for around $300, at a guess, but if you start including the lathes, guages and other such stuff, the cost could go up massively.

i meant electricity-wise, how much do you reckon it costs?

as for all the other junk, i have airconditioners that i could use, or an old refridgerator, or i could hunt down an old dehumidifier.

cant be more than running a mini-fridge. couple bucks a month.

on question. By "direct die" do you mean in direct contact with the core? I hope you know the uphill engineering feats you must overcome if the answer is yes.

Fushyuguru said:
cant be more than running a mini-fridge.

Sure if that minifridge has a 100 Watt lightbulb lit inside it 24/7.

There's a big difference between keeping the inside of an insulated box cold, and continuously removing 100 Watts.

Youll find out that even if you run that super-mega-high-output-crazy-expensive 100w light bulb 24/7 for a month. It will cost you less than the change you loose in your drier every month.

Mini-fridge was the first comparable metric that came to mind... Jack-(insert farm animal).

Such systems typically use about 300-400 watts to run I believe, which basically means it would cost about the same as running a high-end PC.

That said, I have no idea what it costs to run a PC for a month, since it also largely depends upon your useage. But not very much either way.

Fushyuguru said:
Youll find out that even if you run that super-mega-high-output-crazy-expensive 100w light bulb 24/7 for a month. It will cost you less than the change you loose in your drier every month.

Mini-fridge was the first comparable metric that came to mind... Jack-(insert farm animal).

I wasn't talking about the cost of powering the light bulb Jack-(insert farm animal).

The point I was trying to make, (apparently to someone too dimwitted to understand) is that a minifridge will consume much more power when trying to cool a constant heat source, than when trying to keep a six pack cold.

BTW, at a price of $0.07 per kilowatt-hour, a 100 Watt bulb on 24/7 will have an annual cost of:

0.1 KW * ($0.07/KWH) * 24 h/d * 365 d/y = $61.32 / year

Since87 said:

I wasn't talking about the cost of powering the light bulb Jack-(insert farm animal).

The point I was trying to make, (apparently to someone too dimwitted to understand) is that a minifridge will consume much more power when trying to cool a constant heat source, than when trying to keep a six pack cold.

BTW, at a price of $0.07 per kilowatt-hour, a 100 Watt bulb on 24/7 will have an annual cost of:

some people loose a lot of change in their driers...

i personally would have said it will cost you less than the money you loose when drunk! which for me is a fair amount...

Axion said:

some people loose a lot of change in their driers...

i personally would have said it will cost you less than the money you loose when drunk! which for me is a fair amount...

True to that. Actually I probably lost some $$ the night I wrote the jack-(insert farm animal) comment. You never know. I wake up with a thinned out wallet every time I go out.

I also become captain dimmwit when a touch of the sauce gets in me. When not in my super human form though, I am a mild mannered Systems Development Engineer for some crazy company who actually hired me (little do they know, I overlook lifechanging details on an online computer forum).

Oh look a penny! Now I can run my Prommie a little longer!

Since87 said:

Five bucks a month ain't bad at all.

I was wondering a little about this myself...

I read somewhere that the newer prometia and/or vapochill can cool 200W and/or that they consume 200W of electricity.

Are they really that effective?

Peltiers only cool a lot less then they consume (a 226W peltier can cool 226W but use a lot more power then that)

So does a phasechange cooling rig like a prommy or vapo use as much as 300-400 ?

I basicly have 2 questions...

1. Would 2x 226W TEC or a prommie/vapo eat up more juice?
2. Would 2x 226W TEC or a prommie/vapo give better temps?

[Edit]
I just calculated that I would get a full load temp of -27,6°C with the following specs:

Heatload (CPU): 80W
TEC power: 400W (I roundet it down a little because I won't be runing it @ 100%)
WB C/W: 0.2 C/W
Ambient temp: 25°C

Could that be right?

Last edited:
Back