• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If I disable APIC can I just run repair console to fix?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
If I disable APIC in the NF7-S BIOS, can the w2k OS installation be repaired to run under the new BIOS settings? I know the OS won't boot otherwise.

I jumped from w2k OS to XP Pro.... pro just seems to work with or without apic. w2k was just a monkey wrench that never seemed to fit right with the rest of my rig.

W2k will work with or without APIC but you have to decide before the OS install.

What I'd like know is if you can change your mind after the OS install.

w2k, XPpro & Linux are advanced enough that they don't need the BIOS to handle IRQs.

Some have said APIC hinders the ultimate overclock so I want to eventually disable it. I forgot to disable it before I installed my OS.

Does 98se need APIC? I have a 3Gb partition for 98lite so I can do true DOS apps that w2k won't.

I also might just swap out my HD and reinstall everything from scratch with APIC disabled. If both OS work, I can hook up the other HD and copy the configs over.

So will I need APIC when I build my SMP duallie?

Is there any reason we need BIOS level ACPI either? Abit's NF7-S won't let you disable it. I thought most modern OS can handle power management too.

I've heard both that it doesn't matter, and that it makes a whole world of difference. For some, disabling cleared up issues. For others, it did nothing at all. In other words, your mileage may vary... But if you've got it enabled and nothing is wrong, don't worry about it.

AudioAfficionado why in be-elzabob's name, are you running win2k? even if you've gotten all the updates... have you tried to load XP Pro even just to see if your system OC's better?

I don't like XP's nasty habit of authentification and spyware like nature. I also don't really care for the user interface and see no advatage to running it over w2k.

Audioaficionado said:
I don't like XP's nasty habit of authentification and spyware like nature. I also don't really care for the user interface and see no advatage to running it over w2k.

It, err, depend on your version of Windows XP... From what I heard of course (Corp edition has no authentification)... ;)

Still, Windows 2k less blotted...

I can get any version of windows I want, but I prefer to stay with w2k. XP just annoys me whenever I have to use it. I was just offered a copy of corporate the other day (don't ask) which I turned down.

I'll be giving w2k3 a free trial when I build my AMD duallie later this year. By then a lot of the driver and software issues will have been resolved.

I just did some more googling about APIC and I don't think it shuld affect overclocking unless you have some flaky hardware.

Back