• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thermalright sk6+ vs. stock hsf?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

I was wondering how much of a decrease would the sk6+ have with a stock hsf for my athlon xp 1800+ not overclocked yet. It's still at stock 1.53ghz right now - stock voltage and 11.5 multiplier i think. Also do copper heatsinks REALLY have a big advantage against aluminum?

The SK6+ is one of the nicest designs of heatsinks available today... A properly designed aluminum heatsink may be able to rival a poorly designed copper one, but no more than that. The Sk6+ is one the best copper heatsinks to date anyways, so the difference would be quite large.

How do i put the fan on top of the heatsink though? Do i need to buy a adapter or something or does it come with one? Also currently using some kind of generic cooler with a tmd fan. Is it ok if i swap the tmd fan onto the sk6+?

The sk6 has unique fan clips that are very easy to install. Check out the picture below or look up some reviews with pics if you don't get it. You might have to bend the clips because the sk6 has clips for 60x25mm and 60x38mm fans and I think the TMD is thinner correct? Its not too hard, I use to bend them to fit misc fans all the time with my sk6 and my current sk7.

4.jpg

Pennies aren't flat and heat probably wouldn't transfer too well from penny to penny. I think I saw a pic of a penny hsf somewhere a while ago. Not sure where....

Soja said:
Pennies aren't flat and heat probably wouldn't transfer too well from penny to penny. I think I saw a pic of a penny hsf somewhere a while ago. Not sure where....

Plus, all pennies made after 1982 and some made during 1982, are mostly zinc with only a thin copper shell. (Cut one in half if you don't believe me.)

You might want to google sk6 + tmd. Not sure a TMD will fit correctly on a sk6 since it's made for 60mm fans and the TMD is 70mm I think. Looking at my sk6 not sk6+ it might fit a TMD but I'm not too sure about how secure it would be.

SVC sells an adapter to fit a TMD fan on a SK6+. I would provide linky to it, but don't have enough time to. Just look in the same section where the SK6+ is located.

Honestly, if you can pony up a few more bucks, you could get this with a TMD already on it. Better performance, too. Of course, I know money matters, so you may have to find a way to rig it on there... some wires might work. Or if not, you may just want to pick up a regular 60mm fan.

If you can't get the TMD to fit and have a 80mm fan to spare you could rotate it 45 degrees and it'll mount on the sk6.

If you are going to spend 5$ on a fan adapter or something than you can spend about 5$ more and get an sk-7 instead.

Back