• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my NF7 dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GekigangarV

Registered
I just got my NF7 in today and I went to set it up. Mounted my waterblock, etc. and let it run to test for leaks for a couple of hours. After that I went to plug it in to tried to run it for the first time. Turned it on, fans and everything turned on, but the monitor didn't turn on and it just sat there. At first I thought it was my video card so I stuck another card in there, and the same thing happened. I took out all the cards in the PCI slots and just had the video card it, and it still didn't work. Next, I changed the CPU. It still didn't work. I even tried other RAM in and alternated the slots and it still wouldn't boot. The whole time, the PC Speaker didn't make any noise. Here are my specs:

Abit NF7
GeForce3
Crucial 256MB PC2700
Sparkle 350W
Tbred 1700+

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If everything fails, I will RMA the board. Thanks.

I had this problem in the past. I did some changes in BIOS setting few times and it death. I think your motherboard BIOS Chip is done. A lot of people got this same kind of problem.

But, before you RMA it, you should try to reboot the system up without install your motherboad into the computer-case and don't plug front USB connecter jet. You can also try clear CMOS for about 2min. or maybe up to 30min.

Ok. I just ran the CMOS discharge jumper setting for about 40 mins and when I turn it on, the PC Speaker beeps. Good sign! I'm going to try to put in the ram in try to run it now.

This sounds like a RAM problem, are you sure it's not having a connection with the case?

You should also try to get your VGA card out, just boot up the mobo+ram+cpu.

See how far it brings you then.

If it boots up add part by part and check everything out carefully.

OK, It does not sound like a BIOS Chipset problem. The problem might be RAM. You can also check all connecters if it is plug in correctly.

It beeped when I didn't put in the RAM, that's why I said I would later on. :D

But so far, everything works fine. Thanks for all the help. If anything else happens, I'll post it here.

More problems

Ok, so I got everything set up and running. I went to update the BIOS, and succeeded. There was a problem that seems like there isn't enough power going to the board or something. The computer would turn on, fan and all, for about 1 sec. Then the fans would stop, but the HDD and power LEDs would still be on. After a couple of tries, it would power up normally and run. If I push the reset button, it all the fans would stop and the HDD and power LEDs would still be on like above. I've checked all the front panel button plugs. Here comes the bad part... I went into the BIOS and changed some settings, not FSB or anything related to overclocking mind you, just settings like setting CD-ROM as first boot drive, etc. When I saved and exited, the board would boot up again and the red saving to CMOS this would come up... and it shut down on me on that screen... Now the computer is behaving like it did when I first had the board. I've tried to clear the CMOS for 30 mins again, but it still doesn't work. Here are some things that I added or changed to the mobo:

AIW 9700 Pro
D-Link DWL-520
Hercules Gametheater XP

Could it be that my 350W Sparkle isn't enough to power everything?

I found a fix for the BIOS problem on the forum, and read on another forum that the AIW has problems with this board... It seems that shutting down thing is a common problem.

I'm great you found fixes for your problem. Think for info about AIW. I only have 9700PRO and I never have any single problem with it.

Back