• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audigy 2 makes popping sounds with NF7-s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolfmist

Winamp pops during music whenever the computer seems to be loading large files such as game levels. The pops are more than just a irritation, they actually do hurt, not your vinyl variety type of pop.

This didn't happen with my A7v266-e.

I moved the Audigy down a PCI slot, but that did nothing. I thought maybe there was some conflict between the IDE Controller and the card. I do have a hard drive connected via Serial ATA, but the hard drive thats loading is the one connected to the IDE connector.

I am running WinXP Prof.

I do believe I have the onboard sound disabled in the Bios.

Look at my sig for full specs.

Any ideas?

it could be interference. i have both sides of my case open with a box fan blowing in and sometimes the fan makes my moniter wiggle and my sound staticy of pop.

No, its only when the hard drive is doing some serious writing or reading. I just downloaded the latest Desert Combad mod for 1942, and after it was done downloading, it was saving it to the place I asked it to. Not only did the sound stutter, but so did the mouse. It seems as if its taking 100% of the CPU at high priority.

I had that problem at first, then I realised the sound card was on the same IRQ as my IDE disk controler (that can't help). I forced the IRQ to 7 in the bios (it wasn't used by anything).

It solved 99% of the problem. The remaining "noise" happened while moving huge files between hard disks (it's a lot more taxing for the system than making a copy on the same hard disks). The new Creative Labs that were released 2 days ago solved the last 1%. Now it's perfect.

I'm pretty sure disabling ACPI would have solved it but I just didn't feel like doing it... I say this because my old MSI K7N420 Pro (nForce 1) was using the same card without ACPI and I never had any problems...

Anyway now it's working with ACPI.

You could also try to lower the PCI latency... But it's bad for performance...

Sorry for the long reply, and thank for answering.

I thought that WinXP automatically assigns IRQs regardless of what you tell the bios to do. The only way around that was disabling ACPI.

Do you mean that Creative Labs released new drivers recently?

Thanks

Also, one thing that it might be is that the HD read/write is a coincidence... every once in a while my altec-lansings just buzz and pop for a moment, regardless of my soundcard or machine... i figured its just wacky.

I'm currently using ACPI but Windows XP still listened to my IRQ config in the bios.

And yes, new drivers were recently release for my Audigy 1 (and SB Live!), they're suposedly identical to the one released a week (I think) before for the Audigy 2.

I can also assure you that in my can, HD access WAS the cause...

Back