• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp Ranges (Need Advice)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EB

I have an Athlon 1.3. I have 4 exhaust fans with two intake fans as well. My temp on the MB is 95 not too bad. My CPU is running 129 to 130 degrees F. Is this OK. What is the max temp and is there something more I can do to cool the case. The system in not overclocked.

Thank you

Welcome to the forum!

Since this is an international forum, please post temps in C.

Your cpu temps are a little high at 55-56C although your motherboard temp is fine at 35C. Were your temperature readings taken at idle or while stressing the cpu?

Case cooling should be improved. You want a balance of intake and exhaust following the general rule of having inlets in the front and side of the case and having exhausts in the rear and top.

Try making this change and see what happens to your temps.

These temps seem a bit high to me. You should try to keep your CPU temp below 50°-55°C (122°-63°F). 55°C should be about your max temp under load, IMO. Your case should have intake fans low in front, and high in back. Alot of people here at OC think you should have slightly greater airflow INTO the case. The positive pressure will help keep dust out. You should probably get a better heatsink & fan for your CPU. My wife's comp has an AMD 1600+ Pally w/ Thermalright SK7 HS 7 Sunon 50CFM fan: Temps NEVER go over 40°C. Comp I just built for my daughter has an AMD XP1800+ T-Bred-B w/ a Vantec Aeroflow: her temps run 30°-35°C. For best results, you should use Arctic Silver 3 thermal compound. Some really good deals on heatsinks, fans, & AS3 can be found at SVC There are some very nice deals also at KD Computers. Also be sure to read the instructions for AS3. Good luck! -Dave

Two more points:

1. Keep in mind that the 1.3 T-bird was one of the hottest AMD cpu's.

2. If your heatsink was installed two or more years ago (about the age of the 1.3 T-bird) using thermal paste, it probably has to be reseated with new thermal paste like Arctic Silver III. If it was installed with a phase-change pad as recommended by AMD then the thermal link from core to heatsink should be fine.

Back