• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dj_unforgetable

Well, I have been stuggling to keep my case cool for over two years. Initially, I tried filling up my case with fans, after that failed, I lost all hope and left my beatufil AXIA "Y" at stock speeds.

A year went by and I switched to watercooling and found great success. I was able to take my 1Ghz easily to 1.4 while keeping temps below 45C. With these speeds, I was actually on par with friends who had XP's over 1600 and 1700.

Another year went by and now I am going to attend university. With that in mind, I was quick to avoid the possible hassle and fuss of watercooling and installed a brand new Vantec Aeroflow system in my computer; realizing that aircooling would never match my Watercooling, I (with a horribly sad face) dropped my speeds back to stock, forgetting all my dreams of a fast computer. However, when I looked at my temps, they weren't half bad, so I increased speeds by 200Mhz to 1.2Ghz and watched my temps raise to 50+C idle. I was heartbroken.

Lacking a dremel and any creative thought, I decided that perhaps it was time for a new case to increase airflow? I was devasted that I needed cash to buy a bloody new case (although I am working, almost all my money goes to education). Struggling to discover another means, I stumbled onto this: http://www.tweakers.com.au/articles/cooling/casecooling_part1/page1.asp. After reading it, and adding another fan to my exhaust (to make a double series exhaust), my temps dropped 6C easily. At stock speeds, I idled at 42 (same as my watercooling) and loaded at 44C !!!! I bumped speeds upto 1.4 and loaded at 50C. Wow. Although those temps are high, they are within means.

For anyone distraught with their temps, I seriously suggest that article before you go out and spend money on a new case and better cooling. I just hope my temps keep up (touch wood). BTW, if you are wondering about noise, I have an Aeroflow (TMD fan) which barely makes any noise.....The two additional fans only make it a little more noiseier. Right now, I have 3 exhast fans (2 series, one PSU) and one intake fan (soon to be adapted to 2 intake fans in series) which allows low pressure within the case, and cold air to be sucked into the case.

Sorry for the long text, but I pretty much explain my story in whole. To anyone wanting to cool their case, I suggest that article!

Last edited:
Back