• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8RDA+ won't detect my keyboad after flashing BIOS with Magic Flash...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zyca

Any help is appreciated... My system goes like this:

8RDA+ (duh)
AMD Tbred-1700+ AIRGA (duh!)
was running 171 x 10.5 with 1.75v
512 MB 400 Mhz mem x 2 dual channel
ti4200 128 mb gforce 4
WD 8 Mb 120 GB HD
mouse... and keyboard...

What happened was last night, all of a sudden my computer won't pass prime95 for more than 20 minutes (was playing TFT and it crashed twice so I got suspicious). So I decided to up the voltage for the cpu (to 1.775) and test again because with exactly the same settings the computer passed prime95 for 12 hours. I just recently moved and the only other thing that might affect this is the quality of the electricity... but I didn't know what else could've gone wrong. After uping the voltage it still didn't help, so I check for the latest BIOS and came accross the 6/12/2003 one, along with a Magic Flash utility link at the bottom. With no 3.25" handy, I decided to use Magic Flash to flash the BIOS under Windows XP. Things looked fine, and the computer reboots... now the keyboard won't work. I can't go anywhere because it simply refuses to detect the keyboard. Can anyone give me some pointers? Thank you!

Even before this, my computer would randomly refuse to detect keyboard/mouse everytime I restart. But usually one out of two tries I'll get the keyboad and mouse to work, this time I tried about 10 times and no luck... keyboard never gets detected (thus I don't know if mouse is detected either). I am also getting this Checksum error - Defaults loaded message. I reset the BIOS jumper, turned the computer off, unplugged the power supply for about 8 hours and tried again this moring still no luck... did I break my 8RDA+?

Forgot to mention, I also got a new monitor which does not go too well with 8RDA+ it seems. The bios menu when I was able to enter was totally twisted. Maybe I should try to use my old monitor...

This might be shot in the dark but for your keyboard, make sure that the "USB keyboard " option in your CMOS setup is enabled.

I had this problem when installing my 8RDA+ and this fixed it.

My keyboard is PS2 though... and I can't do anything now since the keyboard won't work and I can't navigate at all.... I'll keep trying to see if I can even get the keyboard to respond once.

I reset the BIOS jumper, turned the computer off, unplugged the power supply for about 8 hours and tried again this moring still no luck...

Did you remove the CMOS battery as well? Give that a shot. With the PSU turned off, leave it out for at least 20 mins, or until the board posts with default CPU speeds... that way you will be sure ALL the BIOS settings got reset, because the reset jumper method alone doesn't clear all the settings.

Suggestion on a procedure to try;

Disconnect the power led. Next start go into the bios and select optimized defaults. This will force settings to clear. Reboot and load OS, check if keyboard active. If working next reboot can re-establish your preferred bios settings. Reconnect power led to turbo pins only.

If not working and clearing the cmos not helping then you may have corrupted bios which case will need to obtain new chip. Hopefully it is only the led voltage bleed problem. Good luck.....

Back