• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prometiea Price Drop in effect-$450 Now.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
price drops are a good thing. im waiting to order mine now. getting an all acrylic case machined over at Polymer Plastics right now. no point in having one and not the other.

You know you mention the lack of proven performance over the original. I am curious if anyone has noticed any improved protection against condensation? Isn't that supposed to be one of the other improvements? I have read a couple of prometia reviews that had concerns about condensation (and others that had none at all).

Ive asked the same question all over, but no one has a strait answer. The Mach 2 is just really expensive so not many have it.

Chip-cons condensation prevention is pretty damn good though. They create an air tight seal on front and back of the socket, not to mention the heater. What I plan on doing is forgo-ing the heater and filling the backplate with dielectric grease and neoprene foam. Frontside ill do the normal dielectric grease along with the foam they provide. I dont think that with these measures, it will be a problem. No air, no condensation.

I have had a prometeia since november of last year.

theres one thing I can say.
condensation is not an issue, if you do things right.

I use no Die electric grease.
no liquid tape.
no backside heater.

waht I do, is follow the instructions very well first off ;)
then I take alittle seal string and wrap the edges on the inside of the CPU socket with seal string, just uncase anything slips under the CPU socket.
then I made a small foam pad that I place in the CPU sucket between the CPU and motherboard.
your temps readings are shot to hell this way, unless your board reads in die temps, but it's clean and works great.

when you mount the Prometeia head, just remember, more seal string is better then less, and alittle tip.
take your finger and force it into the little cracks anywhere you can.

6-7 months, never seen one drop of condensation on my CPU, even after running some CPU's weeks on end in it without changing a thing.

carelessness is the only reason you will get condensation.

Actually one of the reviews I read mentioned condensation not at the cpu but said when they touched the stalk (not sure what term chip-con uses for it) that it was moist. So anyways that had been one of my concerns. Would it get moist enough to drip water down on a component. Perhaps they had a bad prometia or did something wrong but then again they were one of the few reviews I read that tested the unit over a very prolonged period of time.

Deathknight said:
Actually one of the reviews I read mentioned condensation not at the cpu but said when they touched the stalk (not sure what term chip-con uses for it) that it was moist. So anyways that had been one of my concerns. Would it get moist enough to drip water down on a component. Perhaps they had a bad prometia or did something wrong but then again they were one of the few reviews I read that tested the unit over a very prolonged period of time.

I would assume that if it is comming from the part that they insulated at the factory, then they would have to cover any damage it did due to bad insulation or neglect during mfg. That the first time Ive heard that though.

Well, I'm very very in the market for one right now (plan to order in a week or so), and here are the totals with shipping from some Prometeia resellers:

www.hardwaregods.net - $560.00 + shipping

www.xtwerkz.com - $550.00 + shipping

www.iceepc.com - $449.00 + shipping

So, you can see that they not only have the best price but they beat the next best price by $100.00!!! That's a lot of money. My only question is has anyone here ordered his\her prometeia from iceepc? Iceepc's reseller rating is pretty high, but I was just wondering if anyone here has ordered from them or not.

Na never have. If reseller rating is high though, youll probably have a good experience with them. I know im gonna buy mine from them.

Fushyuguru said:
Na never have. If reseller rating is high though, youll probably have a good experience with them. I know im gonna buy mine from them.

Yea, you're right. I'm ordering mine from iceepc also. $100 lower than the closest competitor is too good to pass up.

Reseller ratings for Iceepc: Linky

I ordered mine from iceepc some time in January. No probs, shipped quickly, etc. I'll probably get another from them in the near future ;)

i want to get one... but i don't know a whloe lot about it.... i have a water cooling system and my temp are about 114F tops in the summer heat... " system is in the garage" so it's hot in here.... would vapor cooling be alot cooler? what usally temps with it? what would i need to buy? i have a x-aqua case from xoxide.com the x-aqua case but i have a hydor l20 pump not the aqua pump... running a 2100+ pally

They run about -40C head temps and cpu temps run -15 to -25C (correct me if Im wrong, havent owned one yet). Basically, heat is not much of an issue with a prometeia vapochill or DIY phase change unit.

Great for overclocking if you plan on using it as a workstation (like me). Or want to brag to all your buddys. Either way its nice. Though its costly, about $500 for MachI $1000 for MachII.

If you think about it though, $500 isnt bad considering the performance gains and the fact that a good WCing setup can cost $250. If you have WC'ing already, like most who make the jump to phase, use it for graphics and chipset, then youre really rockin.

I have a order with them at the moment for a Intel Kit to mount my prometeia on my new P4 hardware.
I bought it, knowing it was on back order and that I am on a list.
so I emailed them after I bought it, and asked about the ETA of the kit, and got a answer of "we can't really say at the moment, but we are dealing with it as quick as possible"

this was about what I expected, cause nearly everywhere is out of mounting kits.
it's chip-con not keeping up with supply, thats all.
but being that ICeePc answerd me, was all I needed to gain alittle trust with them, so I will leave my order there, and just wait for chip-con to supply the kit's again to thier sellers.

;)

just saw this.

"They run about -40C head temps and cpu temps run -15 to -25C (correct me if Im wrong, havent owned one yet). Basically, heat is not much of an issue with a prometeia vapochill or DIY phase change unit."

it would be nearly impossible as far as I ever saw to get a prometeia to -15c

I have had OC sessions with my old Xp 2100 at 2.2 volts for hours on end, banchmarking, and the lowest I ever got my prometeia at that voltage was -26C.
under normal conditions, say 1.8 volts or so, you should be at -32C or close.
atleast if your prometeia is like mine.
the temps in it, really don't fluctuate much, it takes alot for me to get it to go to the -20's at all.

Yeah, those numbers were from guys Ive talked with at XS. the -40 is no load. -15 to -25 is the range ive heard for actual cpu temps. The prommie reports much lower temps due to the positioning of its temp sensor far from the core.

Back