• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help with arctic silver3 Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shook

I just bought a new CPU. It is a intel 2.4c & a 3g. arctic silver 3.

I have read most of the instructions on the websites on how to apply thermal paste. You can call me stupid but I still don't feel comfortable/understand on applying new paste on it.

Anyone nice enough to make it short, simple, and easy instruction? Or maybe a nice video clip somewhere? I don't have alcohol btw in the house.

Please, anyone. :(

Apply a thin layer to the CPU die...just enough to cover over the die color...but not enough to look like a cake layer...then apply the same thin layer to the HS...then mount the HS...

Never use your fingers to apply AS3...if you do not have plastic gloves to use...use a credit card or something to that effect to spread the AS3...

I like to put a small amount on the core/heatspreader, then fold paper up like 5 times, folding it in half to get a nice square peice of paper. Then use the folded edge to spread it around. It works for me, and even if it isn't exactly even, it'll spread out when you put the heatsink on.

The easiest way to get it into the HSF is put your hand in a plastic and rub, just like on the AS website, and the easiest way to get it on to the core is to use a credit card like a butter knife. I prefer to use a razor myself, but if you slip, you know what could happen.

check here
its for Ceramique but i think its a better instruction for P4 than the one they have for AS3

just put a thin layer of AS3 on the P4 heatspreader
if your not to comfortable applying it to the CPU you can put it on the heatsink (thin layer also).

And don't be afraid. A grease layer will flatten under heatsink pressure, so basically you do not have to make super-even layer. Just ensure it is thin so that the grease won't be squeezed out and short something.

Thanks everyone for the help. one last thing, after I have applied the thin layer on both the cpu and heatsink, do I need to wait for it to dry before installing it? if so, how long should I wait?

You don't need to let it dry. But after you install the HSF, it will take a few hours to settle in.

After you put a layer on the cpu, put a small dab on the heatsink where it will make contact to the cpu. Grab some seran wrap or a plastic bag and rub it around onto the heatsink. Take a lint free cloth and wipe the arctic silver 3 off. Then install the heatsink. Also make sure you DO NOT touch the Arctic silver 3 after you applied it. It will leave oil and dead skin cells on the paste and hinder cooling a little. good luck :D

1. Make sure both surfaces are clean. Rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth should do the trick.
2. Apply a small amount of AS3 onto the CPU core and spread it around evenly using a razor edge, credit card, or other clean straight edge. The layer should be pretty thin, especially for a nice flat HS.
3. Apply a small amount of AS3 onto the HS where contact will be made with the CPU core. Rub the AS3 into the HS in a circular motion both clockwise and counter clockwise. Then wipe off most of the AS3 with a lint free cloth leaving only a stain of AS3 remaining on the HS.
4. Mount the HS onto the CPU being careful to avoid lateral motion when mounting.

That's more less the process on the AS website. As I remember it off the top of my head anyway.

Shook said:
Thanks everyone for the help. one last thing, after I have applied the thin layer on both the cpu and heatsink, do I need to wait for it to dry before installing it? if so, how long should I wait?

dont put a thin layer on the CPU and a thin layer on the HS

just a thin layer on either the CPU or the HS

not both

i had the same problem when i started messing around with computers just put a little on the die just enough to cover it put some on the heatsink to and wipe it off and there you go no big deal won't hurt if you put a lill more on it not rocket science

P4P800

ok I think I got it.

But the temperature reading in the BIOS (1008) for my P4P800 (2.4c), reads:
IDLE CPU 43C /103F , Motherboard: 35C.

When I look at the AsusProbe it reads:
IDLE CPU 33C~35C , Motherboard: 34C

Which one is correct? and does it look like I did something wrong maybe? Everthing is default settings / stock heatsink fan.

ps. When I had my old computer before, ASUS P4G8X with 2.53b, both BIOS and AsusProbe read the same.

Back