• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IC7-G Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fernis

I was reading several post stating that the IC7-G board reads abnormally high temps of the CPU. My question is, does this hold true when using Winbond Hardware Doctor Ver. 271 within Windows XP or is this an acurate measurement of the cpu temperature. Winbond is telling me that my cpu idle telp is on average 41°C with a case temp of 31°C and while running 12+ hours of Prime 95 my temperature reaches 56°C with a case temp of 33°C. I have a 2.4c P4 OC'ed to 3GHz cooled by a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu

Im guessing that it would hold true for all monitoring software, because they all share information from the same hardware monitoring chip on the mobo. The best option here would be to get an external monitor, like a digidoc, or compunurse, and have it monitor temps right from the core.
hope this helps,
xb-70

which is the best hsf for that mobo?

the Zalman CNPS7000-Cu
or the SLK-900U w/ smart fan ll? (or something with good airflow but relatively quiet...)

Without a doubt if you want something with good airflow and also quiet you want the Zalman CNPS7000-Cu . The SLK-900U relies on a monster fan to reach extreme cooling levels. So if you put a slower fan on the SLK it wont cool as good as the Zalman because the HSF design is not as effecient. But, if you dont care about noise and put a Tornado fan on top of the SLK it will outcool the Zalman mainly from the shere force and not design effeciency.

Are my temperatures too high? Should I consider re-applying the HSF? My room temp is about 73°F

although im not talking from personal experience but rather from what ive read in these forums (and i have read a lot now) they are bit high... others say:

1. re-apply heatsink (wafer-thin even layer of arctic silver 3)
2. make sure airflow isnt impeded eg cables behind mobo tray and not interfering
3. all other fans (case fans) are working properly
4. you should use arctic silver 3 thermal compound (if you are not already)

oh and make sure your heatsink is level... otherwise it wont operate @ 100% efficiency...

56c is alright, but I think that it's a little high. I try to keep CPU temps on all of my rigs at 50c or below. If it's stable at that speed, then it is alright. You should try running prime for longer, as problems can occur 20+ hours into the test. You can try reinstalling the HSF also, and follow the instructions for applying ceramique.

Thanks I think I will try to re-apply HSF tonight. When I did it the first time I didnt have any help and I couldnt get the screws to start. The HSF ended up sliding all over the cpu die before I finally got it screwed down. I will get some help tonight. I also only applied the arctic ceramique to the cpu die only. I will put on the HSF also tonight.

ceramique/silver 3 - both good stuff :D

anyway make sure its level! and ive heard it sliding everywhere is VERY detrimental to its performance!

I re-applied the HSF 4 times now. Each time I used a different amout of AS. I only got an improvement of 1°C. Will the AS improve with time? Will my temperatures drop as it cures?

Back