• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual channel....hmmm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

james.miller

well. it doesnt seem to be doing much. ive got 2x256mb sticks in there and the difference in 3dmark scores at 133mhz fsb is just about 300points.

all the benchmarks ive seen show the results to be around 10% faster @ 133mhz but my score is soo close that 300points could be caused by anything.

for info i'm running the original bios (1.0). i know i need to flash to 1.4 for it to tell me i'm running dual channel, but its supposed to work whatever bios you use isn't it?

Why don't you try sandra's memory bandwidth benchmark?

Anyways, I don't think that dual/single channel makes much difference, it hasn't for me. 10% advantage for dual channel only seems to happen in benchmarks too. I'd rather get a mad high FSB than that.

AMD is only double data pumped and seldom stresses the memory bandwidth. The extra bandwith of dual DDR isn't going to make much differance as the memory isn't the bottleneck.

Quad pumped P4s are another story...

From what ive seen dual channel seems to be most efficiant at 133mhz. sandra's giving me 1.8gig bandwidth at 133mhz which isnt exactly mind-blowing. Infact, its only about 100mb more than i got with my ecs k7s5a.

rommelrommel said:
Why don't you try sandra's memory bandwidth benchmark?

Si Sandra can not read the DC bandwidth on NF2 baords...Nvidia will not release the info they (Si Sandra programers) need to fully read it...

I also got better benchmarks (2001se) when running past 180FSB in DC...when I ran past 180...my scores gained alomst 1000 more marks over single at the same FSB

thats exactly my point. its not working. that second link shows a bandwidth of 2.1gig @ 97mhz. As i said before, im bearly topping 1.8gig at 133mhz.

According to that link, i should be close to 2.3gig

What are you guys testing the memory bandwidth with?...if it is Si Sandra...you guys are only getting a single channel reading...Si Sandra can not read NF2's dual channel bandwidth...Nvidia will not release the information Si Sandra programmers need to fully read it's dual channel...

Not right now there isn't...Nvidia just wont release the info to any of the programers needed to fully read the DC bandwidth...I personally don't like that fact either...becasue it makes everything look so slow in memory benchmarks...Si Sandra did state...they hope by the time SS 2004 comes out Nvidia will release the info they need to fully read it...Until then...we are all SOL on finding out how well DC actually does score on the NF2's...

Just curious...what slots are you running your memory sticks in?

people have reported 1&3 gives the best performance when running DC...I know it did on my 8RDA+'s

1&3 was what got me to 10,977 on my 8RDA+...2&3 I couldn't break 10,700...and this was just switching the slots around...nothing else...

you are running at 5-2-2-1t sync right?...and you might also try updating...this might also help the DC a little bit also...nothing else i can think of to help you get anymore out of it...hope these little thing help...

ADDED: found something that might help...lot of reading though...but just might help you out more to get the most out of it...

NF2 motherboard, memory, CPU overclocking

Last edited:
aaahhhhhhh. one thing i forgot (duh).the bandwidth is limited by the cpu fsb. since i had that set to 133mzh, i would never got more than around 1.9gig. (double duh).

ive set the fsb to 190mhz and the ram to something like 140mhz and ive just hit 2121/1921 float/int. now i know what im doing lol.

thanks glock.

edit:

cpu fsb = 200mhz
ram = 166mhz

2462/2292 float/int in sandra. not brilliant, but much better than it was before lol

Last edited:
Ah...always better to run in sync though...lower the FSB to 166 and sync your memory (100%)...then run a test...bet it gets even better ;)...

better yet...riase the lower the FSB and run at 180 - 190FSB...even running at 6-3-3-2T...it will still be better then that score now...

Also something else that might help...set your jumper to run the ram at 166 (default) if you have that jumper on the NF7...the 8RDA+'s did, so I would assume the NF7's do also...

166mhz sync:

2535/2366 int/float

this ram tops out at around 175 i think - its not mine im just trying it out, but i'll see what i can do.

Also, there isnt any jumpers relating to the cpu on this board.

Ok...well don't have to worry about the jumper then ;)...what voltage are you running at for it to max out at 175...that seems real low for PC2700...my Kingston value ram would at least do 193 on my 8rda+'s at 6-3-3-2T at 2.8v's...209 at 2.9v's (never kept them there because of no heatspreaders)...kick'em if they wont go past 175 :D...lol...

well, that's just what he told me, and i think he didnt up the voltage I'm sure it will do better. Anyway, right now im running 175mhz fsb, sync with the ram at 2.7v

2700/2518 int/float

Last edited:
try to get them up to 190 at 2.8v's and then show him what they can do ;)...let me know how it turns out on the 190...

check your PM's James...

Back