• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK800-U or SLK-800 (A)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lord_Zoltan

Im not sure whether to get the :

Thermalright SLK-800 (A) Copper Heatsink
or
Thermalright SLK800-U Heatsink

for my amd 2500+ barton.
edit: i also have a deluxe a78nx motherboard. It says something about needing holes does this have it.?
WHich would be better?

~Zoltan

personally, i would get the Thermalright SLK-800 (A) because i hate the mounting system on the slk-800u and the slk-900u. if you got the 800 A you wouldnt have to worry about the holes in the motherboard. i think the temps would be around the same.. but i really dont know. the heatsinks looks pretty much the same to me

The only difference between the A and the U is that the A has clamps that attach to your mobo. It's very easy to install and works great. The U version uses the holes in the motherboard and you screw the heatsink on. The U version is sturdier than the A version if you go to lan's a lot, or just move your comp a lot. Either one is a good choice and you won't lose performance whichever you choose.

As for the holes for the U version you should just look beside your processor. There should be four of them. That's what you'd use to attach the heatsink.

Ok, i do go to lans alot. But its not like the heat sink is gonna pop off if i use the clamp version is it..?

~Zoltan

wannaoc said:
Actually Zoltan it will not pop off if you use the mounting holes. It screws them, you could drop your computer and chances are it wont budge.

So when you sy mounting holes you are refering to the "U" or the "A"?

i hate being a newb :(

I would go with the U. The A will not pop off; this is true. However, it can be moved around quite easily, especially if you're going to LAN it a lot. With an A, you may have to reseat it quite often to get the best performance if you move it around.
As for whether or not your motherboard can support it, you need to have a revision 2(I think), so check it to make sure it has the mounting holes if you are going to go for the U.

If your new at putting on heatsinks I would go with the U. It is possible to crack the core when installing a heatsink. There is much less chance of this with the U. Clamps are not difficult, but I would practice on an old cpu first.

Maybe I'm crazy, but don't the fins on the U go in a different direction than the A? Depending on the socket orientation you might want the air to be exhausted in a different direction.

-Rav

There is a potential problem with the clip on style heatsink compared to the bolt through style. It is possible to have problems with the zif socket after a while when transporting the unit around such as to a LAN party. The socket has been know to become loose from the motherboard. Just think about how heavy the Slk 800 heatsink is. Do you really want that much weight pulling down on your zif socket? And don't forget to include the weight of whatever fan you plan to use. IMO I feel the clip on style would be no problem for a unit that just sits on your desk and doesn't move very much. I would prefer the bolt through style if I transported my computer around. Just think what would happen if it accidently got bumped hard, or dropped or....oops...dang I tripped.
Or try this...the clip on style had the potential problem of crushing the cpu core during install or the afore mentioned problems of loose connections on the zif socket.
The bolt through style (800u) does require having access to the backside of your motherboard. So ya have to take it out....no problem...it's just one of those things. It took me all of 5 minutes to install mine and I did not have to worry about possibly crushing the core or gouging the motherboard.

I leave the final decision up to you my friend. I hope I have helped weigh the pros and cons of either one. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Later!

Back