• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

random restarting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n3lson

i recently installed a sparkle 350w in my friends computer b/c she complained of random restarting. the PSU helped but the problem did not completely go away.

it has come to my attention that the room is very hot and has no air conditiong; she is using the HSF that came with her athlonxp 1700+, so i ordered a volcano9.

i am worried that maybe this wont work either.

ne opinions or advice would be helpful.

thanks

It might be that your Vcore is too low. Maybe check the atx connection, that could be loose. Make sure all your cables and everything is attached correctly. Might want to take it all apart and put it back together.

Welcome to the Forum!

Is there any overclocking involved in the system? If there is, you might have to back off on the overclock until fall or your better heatsink arrives.

Also, are we talking about a Palomino 1700+, a Thoroughbred A 1700+ or a Thoroughbred B 1700+? If it is an older Palomino core, then it runs 10-15W hotter than the newer versions and requires more cooling.

If you could post a few more details about the system...

What sort of case cooling is being used?

ok guys thx for the help... there is no overclocking involved...

it is a thoroughbred core but im not sure which one.

there is poor case cooling; only one 80mm exhaust.

what is this vcore?

i have never overclocked or nething so i dunno what ur talkin about.

thanks again

i have the same problem with my p41.8 when it goes to 2.7 if the mobo sensor hits 95* farenheight, it restarts, it only happens if it hits 95, and it is only the temp that does it for me

the Vcore is the voltage to the cpu. You can check it when you start your computer press the del key or whatever key gets you into the bios. Once in there look at your voltages, the Vcore should be one of them.

vcore

ok so u said maybe my vcore is too low?

so i should raise it if the fans dont work?

what happens if u raise it too high?

thanks

Back to basics.

"it has come to my attention that the room is very hot and has no air conditiong"

I suspect you have an overheating problem caused by the high ambient room temp and I doubt changing fsb, vcores, etc. will help. For starters do like rugbyroy said and check ALL the connections.

http://peripherals.about.com/library/weekly/aa052802b.htm
Read over this article carefully, especially the first three paragraphs.

You said, "the room is very hot" and if it's a hundred degrees (F) in the room you'll play heck cooling the 'puter properly because the ambient room temp is DIRECTLY related to the cooling ability of the CPU cooler and case fans. Even ninety degrees would tax cooling things. It's summer time and until you air condition the room I suggest turning it off when not using it. Our house stays 77-78 degrees and my OC'd Athalon 2100 does just fine.

You might try taking the side off and put a floor fan up close blowing at the innards and see if it works better, then you'll know it's getting to hot.

A better cooler will help some but to solve the situation and be kind to your 'puter get it in a cooler environment or maybe go liquid cooling. One thing for sure, it ain't gonna' last long running hot like that and by restarting on its own it's telling you it's very unhappy.

Ya'll be cool . . . . (Pun intended . . ) OldBird

Last edited:
You pretty much said it all, but as far as the Vcore issue, I'd say if there's no overclocking then it should be kept at stock, which would be either 1.5 or 1.6 Volts. If it's above 1.6 then I'd put it down to 1.6.

i checked the temps today.

the cpu wuz at 122F according to the bios, and the case at 100F

there is only one 80 mm exhaust fan [besides the psu fan] and there is an open spot for a front intake fan, it looks like 80mm.

after i put on the volcano9 [to replace the retail hsf] what should my temps be?

thx.

do u think ill need an intake fan?

do u think ill need to replace my exhaust with a better fan?

thanks so much for all the help

My ambient is 78, case internal 90, 12 degrees warmer inside the case. You didn't say what the ambient room temp is but I'd guess about 90F. Your CPU temp doesn't sound good 122F (50C) is on the edge and way to hot for a 1700 at idle because under full load temp will go higher. Ideally your CPU temp at idle should be around 100F.

Let's do something here, take the side off, point a floor fan at the inside up close, run it and check the temps, see if it restarts or runs like it should. If it runs good then you'll know it's getting to hot.

IMHO, if you don't have some special cooling 90F ambient is to hot and like I said before, ambient temp is relative to all your 'puter temps. Do the fan test and let us know how it goes.

Another test, fins someone with around 78 ambient, take the 'puter to them and let them run it and see if it runs OK.

All this assuming the MB & HS is clean and free of dust and dirt and the fan is turning at normal speed. If you have doubts about the fan you can buy replacements at nexfan.com dirt cheap. If you haven't cleaned the HS lately I suggest you do so. Unplug the power source, remove the fan and use a small, soft paint brush to brush away the debris and gently vacuum the inside good.

That would probably help, but you would still start hitting a wall with that high ambient temp. Your best bet is to get some improved cooling for the CPU. You can get a good cooler and fan for $30 or less. The SK-7 is $20 without a fan. Throw a Smart case fan II onto it, and you will have a good cooler, and you can adjust the RPM of the fan using the included dial. Turn the fan up in the summer, then back it off during the winter.

how do u think a volcano9 will help, i already have one on the way...not too late to cancel the order tho.

thx

My guess would be two - three degrees cooler by adding an intake fan. The case has a front fan vent, is it open? If it's on the bottom front raise the front about four inches off the floor so it can breathe.

Again I ask, what is the temprature in the room, the "ambient" temp? You said it's 100F inside the case, but what is the ROOM temp? If it's 90 degrees then your intake fan will be pumping ninety degree air into the case and in this situation ninety degree air is not working to our advantage.

Did you take the side off and do the floor fan test I suggested?
Is the HS clean? Did you take the fan off the HS and clean it? How old is the computer and has it ever been properly cleaned inside?
Make sure the HS is clean, take the side off and do the fan test then come back and talk to us.

n3lson said:
how do u think a volcano9 will help, i already have one on the way...not too late to cancel the order tho.

thx

In your first thread you wrote this: "it has come to my attention that the room is very hot and has no air conditiong" and in so doing answered your own question. Bro', I feel what we're all trying to tell you is exactly what you said, the problem is the computer is in a room that is to hot and the ambient room temp directly effects the computers temps, inside case temp, MB & CPU temp. Now then, you can get a mod HS fan that pumps a LOT more air and two case fans that pump 80 CFM and probably cool it down, BUT, it will be so loud you'll hate us.

Will the volcano 9 help? Sure, probably drop the CPU temp five degrees but not enough to solve the hot room or restart problem. Apparently we are all of the same persuasion, you have two choices, very noisy cooling mods or cool down the room.

You are more than welcome for the help, that's what this forum is all about. Next step, do the floor fan test and let's go from there.

Have a great Sunday and until we get this heat problem resolved don't leave that hot puppy on anymore than absolutely necessary.

if it wuz my comp it would not be in a room like that.

i will try to persuade them to move it but its not a big house there isnt really another place, besides for the room next to it which i think would be worse, b/c in winter they have a woodburning stove in that room.

btw... i know that in a room with hot air fans arent really gonna do much [so i heard about 500 times in this thread]... but if the room is hot [i dont think it is 90 degrees] maybe 80... what would work better:

a smart case fanII as intake and a regular 80mm as exhaust, or vise versa?

next time i am over there i will read this thread again and try all the tests u talk about.

Back