• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-7VA sudden restarts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elissaios

Hi.
Here are my computer specs:
AMD 2400+, GA-7VA, ddr 512/333 kingstone CL1,5, SB Extigy,
and some crappy modem (suspicious), DVR-105 (pioneer), Sony DVD, ASUS 52x.

Been having lots of problems with this model for some months now.
It seems that it restart upon... different cases?
i mean it restarts anytime it wants... once my dvd recorder closes sessions on a dvd, open MSNM, open uninstall control applet, or even update my norton AV program... its strange.
Ofcourse it not always restart in above cases, but it happens often.
I've checked my power supply, changed it once from 330 to 350, but still the same. I disconnected all drives, and left pc open for 48 hours but still, restarted without even running a app.

CPU temp's good, always at 45-50 max (using volcano 7+), my house's power its ok, no failures.

Now that you got all dizzy (jesus talk me about it :p), i had the same problems with my MSI KT4V board.

Please, if anyone know whats causing this, please share it :(

P.S. first thing that power-fails 1 sec before sudden restart, is first the monitor signal and then the HD's.

Thank you :)

"AMD 2400+, GA-7VA, ddr 512/333 kingstone CL1,5"

CL1.5?????? are you sure?

Have a look in the Event Viewer and see if any errors are reported.
If you can test voltages with a multi meter.
Clear the CMOS and make sure all settings are at default and memory is set to Auto.

You had same probs with last mobo, so did you have any of the hardware above at that time, have you done a fresh install of the OS, is it in the same case?

Hood

some suggestions

Hi Buddy,

Did u try with another ram module? and in what are the components did u transfered from the old machine to this new one? and did the old one get the same probs? if that so then it might be some other parts in the machine might giing probs to you. So best method is to check your ram and vga card accordng to my knowledge.
Sometimes when you u have bad mem it'll happen, and in the net there are free utilities to check the mem that can be booted from diskette and check you mem. if ya don't mind remove the mobo from the casing and try it outside without a computer casing only plugging the vga,ram hdd and see weither it's coming to you. Once i had a computer casing that gives probs to me and still couldn't figure it out how it happen. but stil i use that casing (lol) cause i decorated it so much don't wanna lose it.
Try switchig components borrowing from friends until u escape from that prob. don't go rushing buying new componnets and wasting money. let us know your progress, we're looking foward to hear from you.

elissaios said:
ddr 512/333 kingstone CL1,5,

I will have to ask this too...are you sure of 1.5 CAS...

Kingston Hyper X PC2700 CAS Specs

High performance DDR memory tested at speeds up to 333MHz
CAS Latency 2 support for leading-edge performance

If you are running at 1.5 CAS...then odds are...this is your reboot problem...

i will recheck the CL type once i get home (im at work right now).

BUBBLE: I have GeForce4 Ti4600 from creative... and yes now that you mention problems started once i plugged it in... although cant be 100% sure about it.

And yes i had the same components as before with the same problems (i cant quite remember which components i added before the problems show up... but for sure it was extigy/geforce).

I will try to get a mem benchmark, test and see... althought i dont expect to see negative results there.

i have a big suspision on power... i have a TEMP power supply 350watt on my box (and yes BUBBLE i think the box is kinda suspicious too.)

but thanks guys, i will update you soon with info :D

its not the ram the video card or the modem.
i have the same problem once i upgraded bios and got a beter cpu . its probly a core voltage thing when cpu hits full load. ( thats the times when it usualy resets on me like playing 2-3 accounts of everquest at once)

thats a very interested figure thorilan.
but do you know how to solve it? Please? :)

Ok checked my voltages.
cpu vcore is 1.68, AUX is 1.26, +5V is at 4.58, +12V is 12.74 and I/O at +3.10.
Checked my bios version, its F9 and release date 1/14/2003.

Damn, still cant find whats wrong. I checked the event viewer after a sudden restart, here's what i get:

System Error:
An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom0 during a paging operation. <-- i get over 50 problems within the time of 3-4 minutes.

Ofcourse that time (before sud. restart) i was copying some files from dvd-rom.

Do you think its the dvd-rom?...
Damn :(

1 Thing you can do now to find out if it's driver problems is if your using Windows XP disable the autorestart option and record the error in the Blue screen. Looks like your power supply is the problem, your 5 volt rail is really low. What kinda power supply do you have brand wise? 350 Is not really alot for a high power draining athlon system especially if it's a no name. Also try flashing to the latest BIOS then, clearing the BIOS then set everything to default. I know everyone suggest this already but this is a brief recap.

As for the DVD error, that's just windows when it doesn't have the best driver for the drive, see if you can update the driver somehow, but nothing to worry about.

my power supply is a TEMP350 one.
I know its not that good... but i will try from a friend a 450 one and see whats up.
I've reset bios, and its strange still didn't get any sudden restarts (1 whole day working...).

will try and see whats next.

thank you all :D

I can say with 98% accuracy that it's your motherboard causing this problem. I recently bought one of these and had the same problems only abit worse and when i startee googling abit on it i found loads of forum threads about people with this board having the same problems.....ofcourse Gigabyte says there is nothing wrong with their motherboards. Anyway I've RMA'd mine and if the problem is still there when i get a new one I'll ask for my money back.

i had the same problem... just would turn off ... and then turn back on when it wanted to... i luckily had a friend with an xtra power supply (thermaltake 420w) changed out the power supply and it hasnt turned off since... i have almost the exact setup... 2400+ AMD, GA-7VAX1394-A, 512mb Crucial PC2700... and some others... but nevertheless... havent had a problem with it since... hope that helps man!

Thanks m8 :)
I'm still looking into it. I will buy a new power-supply (maybe 450) and see whats up.

Again, thank you all for the excellent support :)
Elissaios K.

Back