• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heat Shrink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

Can you use a regular lighter to get the heatshrink to shrink, or do you need some kind of fancy equipment?

thanks guys

another question, for sleeving, what size do i need for sleeving molex wires?

For the regular four wire .. um .. wires just use 1/4 inch. For the big atx cables I'd use at least half inch, or bigger. To put the sleeving over the atx I wouldn't suggest taking the molex connector off the atx (loads of wires) just turn it sideways and shimmy it over it. Also, when you do the regular psu cables (with four wires) it's best to do the portion nearer the psu first by putting on the flexo and the heat shrink, then doing the next section that's farther away etc... If you have any questions with it whatsoever pm me and I'll help you out.

^ Yeah a heat gun on medium works more than well.
A hair dryer would work also, just take a little longer.

You want indirect heat... You don't want it on the flame ;) Like everyone else said.

I think that they ALL will work, hair dryer, heat gun, lighter, flame thrower. It's just your preference they'll all get the job done.

on a side note: Using the flame thrower might involve a willing assistant and just stand back a couple of feet. Don't wanna burn the heatshrink.

lol, yea but a heat gun costs like 25 bucks (right?) while a lighter is what 50 cents?

Back