• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help! S3 Inconsistent

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chung_chang

This has been posted a couple of times before but I don't believe it has been fixed yet.

Everything is perfect with my NF7-S v2.0 now except S3(suspend-to-RAM). I've searched and tried all the suggestions I could find but still could not get it to work consistently. The behavior is that it would go to sleep correctly(PC shuts down in couple of seconds), but won't wake up(fans, HDD wake up but screen stays blank).

I've already tried several combinations of solutions including:

1. APIC 1.1, 1.4 in bios
2. S1, S3 in bios
3. Fresh reinstalling of WinXP Pro SP1 with each bios setting change
4. Tried on 2 Abit NF7-S v2.0 and 2 Asus A7N8X dlx v2.0 boards
5. Disable all onboard devices (LAN, USB, firewire,....)
6. Tried on 2 different cases with Antec 430w TruPower and Antec 350w SmartPower
7. TB 2100+ and Barton 2500+ CPU
8. Running CPU stock or oc'd
9. Crucial, Hynix, Twinmos and Buffalo memory
10. Running memory by SPD or oc'd
11. 1.1, 1.2, 1.4beta and 1.4 BIOS
12. Geforce2MX, Geforce4MX, Geforce4 TI4200, Geforce4 TI4600
13. Various NVidia reference drivers and default MS driver
14. No drives attached except boot/OS drive

Can't remember what else I've tried within the last month. But S3 either will not work or will not work consistently. I would say when it did work, it was only about 3 out of 4 times(sleep, wake up, sleep, wake up, sleep, wake up, sleep, NOT wake up).

I'll add that S3 worked perfectly and consistently on my AOpen AX4R+(Granitebay), Asus CUSL2(815E) and Asus P4P800 DlX(Springdale) with the same memory, p/s and video cards above, plus they were all oc'd. I can enter S3 and wake back up all day long, all week long, whole month, hundreds of times without ever restarting WinXP.

If anyone has S3 working correctly and consistently on this board, please help and post your specs. I need to get this working soon.

TIA!

Are you overclocked?

If so, that might be what's hanging it up.

I've found that my monitor/HD/suspend power saving settings in w2k don't work while I'm overclocked.

I personally never saw S3 work like it should 100% of the time...

It's one of the many reasons why I hate ACPI.

Might I suggest you use hybernate instead ? It's slower but it usally always work !

Audioaficionado said:
Are you overclocked?

If so, that might be what's hanging it up.

I've found that my monitor/HD/suspend power saving settings in w2k don't work while I'm overclocked.

See #8 and #10.

The Blazer said:
I personally never saw S3 work like it should 100% of the time...

It's one of the many reasons why I hate ACPI.

Might I suggest you use hybernate instead ? It's slower but it usally always work !

See my original post:
chung_chang said:
I'll add that S3 worked perfectly and consistently on my AOpen AX4R+(Granitebay), Asus CUSL2(815E) and Asus P4P800 DlX(Springdale) with the same memory, p/s and video cards above, plus they were all oc'd. I can enter S3 and wake back up all day long, all week long, whole month, hundreds of times without ever restarting WinXP.

I'm using Hybernate right now but it takes too long for SATA controller to detect my Raptor.

I hate to do this...but since you have done so much...have you been to abit forum to ask them over there...normally I would not do this...but since you have done so many things and it is still not working right...this might be your only way to find out what is wrong.

The forum seems to be down right now...might want to try it later...that is if you have not already been there...

Yeah, I've read and tried several suggestions from abit-usa forum before and nothing's worked yet. I'm beginnning to believe nForce2 chipset has flaws with S3 since Asus is having the same issue. Many of the S3 problem posts there have died quickly because not many ppl use it and a few actaully claim S3 is working on this mobo. I just wanted to flush out any folks here who might have S3 working on this mobo and post their system specs. I am hoping that "NO ONE" really has S3 working consistently(more than once or twice) on this mobo so I can escalate this on the abit-usa forum and hope my post won't be ignored and die like the other S3 posts there.

Thanks again.

Back