• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temperatures ... what is ok, what is not

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Secret-Ian

Registered
Hello everyone. I am new to overclocking and before I try anything I would like to get a few things straight. I see lots of posts about "how is my temp?" or "is this temp right for a [blank] cooling system?", but what I want to know is: what temperatures are recommended for both AMD and Intel cpus, and what will happen if you go beyond those temperatures. As long as the system is stable, does the temperature even matter?

I would greatly appreciate some help with this, or even a link to a recent article on this issue. Thanks alot.

Temps

Well I have a AMD 2800 Barton overclocked to 2400 mhz
200 FSB
12x multiplier
no load 39 C
load 44C
46 C without the AC on when its about 100 F outside

If you are overclocking I would say stay under 50C with a load.

Ithink the safe operating temperature for an AMD CPU is 55 c.
Most stock coolers and heatsinks run between 45 and 55 C.

breez said:
As long as it is stable -> no worries.

Not exactly...

Although i doubt you'll burn up your chip anytime soon, from what i heard for instance AMD chips are rated all the way up to 70c.

most people like sub 50 degrees, i cant settle for anything over 45 myself...maybe you can call me a freek, i dunno.

breez said:
People aren't going to use these things for 10 years or anything like that.

Sure they are, especially if they are keeping their old machines busy with Folding or Seti...I know I am hoping to keep my rigs Folding until they start smoking and crap out totally, hopefully many years down the road...

As a general rule, most folks like to keep it below 50° C, and lower if at all possible. Depends on the amount of OC you are running, really. ;)

Really, though.. You're probably more than ok if you don't top 60C. AMD's range goes up to the 70-80C range, so keeping it under 60C under load should give you more than enough of a buffer. As long as you're not overclocking *much*, you should be fine. I think people here are too hardcore... ^_^

And just think... When winter rolls around you can leave the heat off in your room and just have your computer running... I did that at my dorm, and never had to leave on the heater.. :D

AHHAHA

Did the same thing in my dorm!
3 comps running seem to keep it quite nice in there.

hmm...

Yeah, well the reason why I ask is because I left my comp on all night running cpu burn in, and the cpu maxed out at like 70 degrees... But it was stable. I dont think I will be using this processor for longer than like 2 years at the most, so I think I will stick with the current settings.

Back