• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NB & SB cooling help?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BTTHR

Registered
Ive been able to get the FSB up to 191 but not past it (at least not stable) I'm sure the north and south bridge cooling is to blame.
I've already kicked the NB voltage to 1.7 and set the multiplier down to 8 (stock @ 11)and no help for the FSB.Deatails on my RIG in singnature.
I want to know from people which chipset coolers etc work the best and easiest to use. I've seen many differnt ones online I like the thermaltake silver icberg (or something like that) but I want to know others experience with this.
Thanks ahead of time for the help

Well here is my experience FWIW.

My board runs day and night 200 FSB stable with 1.5 chipset voltage. And I can only guess the NB doesn't generate that much heat, because mine came from the factory with an entirely NON-FLAT surface. I have considered just pulling the NB heatsink entirely off the NB... I bet it would still run. When I first got my board, I ordered a NB block from Danger Den... ran it for about 2 weeks at 200 FSB. Took down my system one day for maintenance, pulled off the NB block and guess what? Not a single trace of thermal grease. There was little if any contact with the NB.

So if your board is anything like mine, I would say the problem is elsewhere. Your ram perhaps... or maybe your cpu.

Edit: Looking at your sig I'd say your cpu is topping out. Have you dropped the multi and then tried upping the FSB?

he's already tried the 8 multiplier.

hmmm, have you tried using only 1 stick of memory? how about swapping dimm slots? when I swapped mine, I got an increase of like 5 mhz FSB

I'd suggest looking elsewhere... I don't think your NB/SB are to blame. Are you running your memory at a 1:1 ratio? Make sure you're not actually running the ram at like 500mhz or anything.

Cooling...

Take a look at this thread: http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?threadid=14771
(The Abit forum has been down all this weekend)

Or this site: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/minochcokit.html

Other possibilities...
  • Your CPU just can not reach 200 fsb. Now that AMD is SELLING chips with a 200 fsb, the chances of finding them in lower bins are probably a bit smaller.
  • Your PSU can't provide enough reliable power for those extra dozen watts.
  • Increase your ram voltage and/or relax your ram timings.

That chipset cooler looks sweet!!
Thanks for the help all it ends up that she'll do 200 FSB with the mem voltage up to 2.8 and the divider set at 5/5 (even though I swear I had tried every combination of 1/1 dividers ie 3/3 or 6/6)
Thanks but I think I really wanna try out that NB cooler in the link.
Cause you just kow I gotta Overclock it till it bleeds!! (and I'm sure this baby has some blood left)

Back