• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what to cool an xp2500?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danomite664

I am goin to be building a computer for a friend and am planning on throwing an xp2500 in there, but dont know what to use for a heatsink. They won't be overclocking their computer, so what would anyone suggest to use? I only plan on spending about 500 or so on parts so i dont want it to be expensive, but i want it to get the job done.

If you aren't going to be overclocking, then the stock heatsink should be fine with OK case airflow. That will save you a few bucks.

i am buying the oem version, so i dont get the stock heatsink even

edit: I take that back, the one i was looking at is the retail version. so the stock one is good enough then?

i had the stock heatsink for my 1700 and that was a piece of crap, so i just wanted to make sure it would work alright

The stock HS for the 1700's are pretty much pieces of crap. The retail Barton HS has thin aluminum fins soldered to a copper base, which will either be bare, or nickle plated. It even comes with Shin Etsu pre applied (don't mistake it for run-of-the-mill TIM like I did). I stuck mine on my Radeon GPU and was able to get 40 more Mhz over the old AMD K62 HS I previously had on there. The SK-7 will cool better, but it's not worth it ESPECIALLY if you're not going to overclock.

Stick the retail on there and you'll be just fine.

I recently upgraded my mom's comp to a 2600+. There was a deal at frys for a soyo board and the 2600 for $140. I'm not sure if it's a barton, not too knowledgable about AMD's since after Tbird I went back to Intel. The HSF is pretty crap for it. Using Artic Silver II and the cpu internal temp is 68C Idle. So I've ordered an AX7 with a 30db fan. I've taken off the thermal pad that was on it, even added a few more fans for the computer. It still gets extremely warm.

danomite664 said:
I am goin to be building a computer for a friend and am planning on throwing an xp2500 in there, but dont know what to use for a heatsink. They won't be overclocking their computer, so what would anyone suggest to use? I only plan on spending about 500 or so on parts so i dont want it to be expensive, but i want it to get the job done.

Just be carefull danomite. I use to build comps for friends until they started complaing and blaming all their troubles on me. Parents get angry... friendships get broken. Just be carefull. Driver problems and imcompatabilities can lead to disaster. I lost 2 friends because of VIA chipsets.

lol, well the computer is for my girlfriends mom. I built my girlfriend's brother's computer, and the only problems it has had is with stuff he has done to it (he even admits it), i built my girlfriends computer, and i have built all my own. Generally they don't have problems (at least not ones due to my building it) and they wouldnt hate me for it. Thanks for the warning though.

Back