• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S revision question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
Hi guys,

OK...I've got my v2.0 installed, and it's running fine, but I have some issues (not performance)....

On the box, it says v2.0. The sticker on the board says v2.0. I've read an article/review which shows differences in cap placement, and northbridge "appearance" which indicates I have a v2.0...

When I run SiSoftSandra, or any Mad Onion/Future mark program (3D Mark 2001SE, PC Mark 2002), when I look for the board revision in the system specs, every one of them list the board as V1.X.

Is this "normal"?

Also, the BIOS I'm using (right now) is the one that came w/ the board, which shows a date of 3/17/2003. I'm assuming this IS NOT the 1.4 BIOS I'm reading that everyone is recommending.

I'd like to flash to 1.4, but with the various programs showing V1.X, I want to make damn sure I've got a v2.0 before I attempt it.

Here's the question:

HOW can I find/prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that my revision is v2.0??

Once I get this sorted out, I'll worry about asking for advice on the CPU/FSB DRAM Ratio in the SMIII... ;)

Thanks a ton in advance!!

Brian

Numbers from NB/SB, if they'll help;

NB:

nVidia
nForce2
SPP
G31926.1 0307A1
S. Taiwan

SB:

nVidia
nForce2
MCP-T
FB2237.1 0306A3
S. Taiwan

TIA!

B.

Found at NFORCERSHQ.com;

"check ABIT NF-S rev2 with WCPUID 3.14a and NB is A1=C1 and SB is A3=C1 too"

Ok....now we look into flashing the BIOS.... I've got a 2.0. :D

I just thought it strange that all those different apps/utilities showed V1.X, instead of V2.0 or such...

I'm sure other questions will arise... ;)

B.

*edit*

Flashing the BIOS to 1.4 changes all those "V1.X" listings to "V2.X" Curious....

umm...... glad we could help? :p

i wish Abit would have the revision number printed on the board instead of just having a sticker, it's a lot harder to pass a 1.xx off as a 2.0 if it's printed (a sticker can be removed pretty easy).

are you using the Soundstorm integrated audio? if so then i would put at least a passive heatsink on the southbridge. if you replaced the northbridge cooler then you could put the stock one on the southbridge using thermal tape.

john240sx said:
umm...... glad we could help? :p

i wish Abit would have the revision number printed on the board instead of just having a sticker, it's a lot harder to pass a 1.xx off as a 2.0 if it's printed (a sticker can be removed pretty easy).

are you using the Soundstorm integrated audio? if so then i would put at least a passive heatsink on the southbridge. if you replaced the northbridge cooler then you could put the stock one on the southbridge using thermal tape.

LOL... I've got a passive sink on the SB. Eventually (as, yes, I'm using the onboard sound) I want to put something a bit more substantial on there. With everything "built in" on this, the only expansion card I've got is the Ti4200....all the PCI slots are open, so there's some room there to work with.

I've got a Chrome Orb handy....just need some more thermal tape. I *think* the Corb will clear the Ti4200...it looks like it would, at least.

Yeah...that's why I was so hung up on that one point...mighty easy to remove a sticker with the version number.....and I know flashing a 2.0 with the 1.2 BIOS (and vice-versa) is bad news.

BTW...those two LEDs onboard by the front panel connectors are bright as hell... :eek: A bit brighter and I'd pull the CC's out of that case and put 'em in another...:cool: :p

Cheers!

B.

Back