• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What fan will fit SLK-900u on Abit IS7 mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squale

I am going to get the SLK-900U and put it on my system with the IS7 mobo. I just want to make sure that eveything will fit fine with no problems. What is the BEST fan that I can put on this sucker to get me the best possible temps for both system and cpu temps. I was considering these fans thus far..

-Delta 92mm high output
-Vantec Tornado 92mm
-Panaflow 92mm

Of course this is if a 92mm fan will fit with my setup.

I heard something someplace that on a p4 board only a 80mm fan or smaller will fit on this slk-900u heatsink. It's because the heatsink is so big that any bigger than a 80cc fan would hit the capacitors on the mobo or something. Can somebody please clear this all up for me and give me the CORRECT info on this setup.

Thanks guys!

Isn't the heatsink so tall that the fan can't hit capacitors? The capacitors are like 2-3 cm tall only.

The vantec tornado puts out 119CFM, at a jet-engine-like 56.4 db.
The panaflo M1A puts out 48cfm at a quiet 30db.
The panaflo FBA09A12U1A puts out 69cfm at a loud 43db.
The delta puts out 110cfm at 55db.

Looks like the tornado is top-dog.

Remember, though, the db scale is logarythmic, meaning that 3db louder is double the noise... meaning the vantec tornado is 446 times as loud as the panaflo M1A. You'll probably even hear it with your headphones on!

how can it be that many times louder? what does logarythmic mean?

and can you give me a real world example of how loud the tornado 92mm is? Meaning lets say you are just sitting in a quiet room.. I keep my computer running 24x7 in the same room that I sleep. and I sleep about 15ft away from where my pc is..

I can hear my 92mm tornado with my door closed down the stiars and on the other side of teh house.

first off its not logarythmic, its logarithmic. The dictionary definition is The power to which a base, such as 10, must be raised to produce a given number. If nx = a, the logarithm of a, with n as the base, is x; symbolically, logn a = x. For example, 103 = 1,000; therefore, log10 1,000 = 3. The kinds most often used are the common logarithm (base 10), the natural logarithm (base e), and the binary logarithm (base 2). You learn these in Algebra 2 and Precalc. Anyway pretty much its when something increases exponentially, like graphing 10^x. In laymans terms, it means the more you increase the Xaxis variable (db) the faster the "actual" sound will increase(Y-axis). Im not sure if what he says is true about 3db is double, but there is a explanation of logarithmic....:D

so I guess the question is.. is it worth the extra DB's of the Tornado fan over the Panaflow fan. The Panaflow FBA09A12U1A only puts out 68.8 CFM at 43 DB so I don't know just how much quieter that is compared to the Tornado. Is it worth dropping that many CFM's for only a few DB's?

Are there any other Fan's to get that are better?

Also, where and what are the connectors for the Panaflow fans? I understand they don't come with the wires...

Well, the "3db is twice as loud" is actually a good exponential approximation of the actual curve, which is logarithmic.

http://freespace.virgin.net/mark.davidson3/decibel/decibel.html

It's notable that noise intensity, (note: decibels are powers of ten of a reference intensity, so you can't just plug decibels into this!) also decreases as the square of the distance increases.

Someone talking in a normal tone of voice about 1 foot from your ear is 60db. 55db would be someone talking 1 foot 9 inches from your ear

BUT

case fan noise is measured at 1 meter. So at 1 foot, the case fan would be at 65db, or more than 3 times as loud as someone talking from that same distance.
http://www.mcsquared.com/dbframe.htm

Think about it... that fan, at 6 feet, will be as loud as someone talking to you from 3 feet away.

If you want that fan to be as quiet as a whisper? (20db) Well, you're going to have to stand half a football field away.

I am putting a panaflow on my SLK, I am also looking for the conector..:D

this site has a LOT of nice stuff.. tell me what you think..
http://www.frozencpu.com

You don't want to go with the Vantec tornado even though it puts out close to TWICE as much CFM ??

I mean the Panaflow seems like it would be pretty darn loud too..

i personally got the panaflow, but now im thinking aobut a tornado... easy to switch out, depending on how loud i want it to be lol:D

Well, that tornado will give you the best cooling. So I won't tell you not to get it. I just want you to know what you're getting into. If you keep it on 24/7, you won't be able to sleep in the same room with it. And you'd better have headphones and have them turned up loud when you're using it! That 69cfm panaflo will be better, but not much. You might still have trouble sleeping.
That 48cfm panaflo should let you sleep like a baby, though.

Many people actually go to the point of buying the Vantec Stealth, a fan that's barely audible.

There are ways to improve cooling with a quieter fan. (Do a search on ducting.) And the best cooling within a somewhat reasonable budget is watercooling, which can be quieter and will cool far better.
There are lots of options. The tornado is one of them, but it's insanely loud.

You're looking at $70 for that heatsink and fan. A good watercooling setup could be put together for $125-150. And it could be almost silent.

Do some research here... find out what best suits your needs. DON'T JUST BUY without learning about things first!

see watercooling I would seriously consider because I know I am getting into a lot of money here for a heatsink and fan.. and it is going to be LOUD!!!!.. but you know what.. I don't know the first thing about water cooling.. really... I am totally a newbie there.. I don't know how you install a water cooling system, how you mount it on the cpu, etc.. plus I don't know what other things you need.. so really any help would be greatly greatly appreciated! I will look into watercooling but I know that I need some help from you guys first as to what direction to point into. Right now you are right.. I am looking at about $90 without shipping for the heatsink, fan, and the Artic Silver 3 compound. So yeah for another 40 bucks or so, I would be more than willing to go a much quieter and much much cooler way.. I am sure watercooling would give me room to take my cpu way way up..

Caffinehog said:
You're looking at $70 for that heatsink and fan. A good watercooling setup could be put together for $125-150. And it could be almost silent.

Do some research here... find out what best suits your needs. DON'T JUST BUY without learning about things first!

Listen to the man, I've not bought an slk-900, two fans and a fan controller.

I could have watercooling instead.....

sandman001 said:

Listen to the man, I've not bought an slk-900, two fans and a fan controller.

I could have watercooling instead.....

I just want to point out here...

My cooling solution:

HS-$24
fan-$15
Dryer duct-$5

total cost...$44

temps priceless

I was checking out the AquariusII by Thermaltake... that looks pretty decent.. I mean I am getting the Thermaltake Xaser III v2000a case anyhow, wouldn't that kit be the best choice for me? And I can get it for just around $100 bucks.. NOT BAD!!! It says it will bring my cpu temp down to 0.24C.. very nice. But I also see other kits by Swiftech, Asetech, and Innovatech... there are probably others as well..

What is the best choice for me? Should I buy a kit? That's probably the best thing to do right?

How is the maintence upkeep on water cooling compared to aircooling?

And can I keep my pc running 24/7 with water cooling? I am afraid if the water pump broke I would melt my chip and mobo

Please help..

I heard that +3dB yields double the sound pressure, but when asked for a subjective opinion from normal people, the noise seems to double at +10dB. So double the sound pressure != double the noise.

Back