• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Heatsinks Are The Easist To Snap on?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stonehhh5

Registered
Theres The Generic Heatsinks with the clips or the thermalright 800u 900u ones where u screw on? i might as well get a screw on if its easier than snapping on because of a freak accident i expierenced a while ago with some stupid snap on heatsink:D

go with the bolt on type. They are a lot more secure, and my slk-900 was easy to put on.

You have to take your motherboard out though.

The Zalman is freakin' heavy though. If you LAN moderately, I wouldn't reccomend the Zalman due to the risk of it coming off when moving it.

When it comes to ease, you'll be most happy with the clips. You simply get a small screwdriver and pop those suckers on the lugs (just be careful with that potential kinetic energy which could equal a hole in a nice mobo)...
However when it comes to peace of mind and *possibly* better cooling (due to more pressure), a little extra work (taking out the motherboard) will do you a lot of good by using the bolt-on solution.

In short: SLK-800/900-U

Whatever you're most comfortable with, really.

Oh, and a little Edit:
Want the simplest Heatsink installation? Get an INTEL! :)

heatsinks

My experionce says heatsinks are a pain in the butt to snap on. You just have to do it many times to get the trick down without goudging the mb up....

LOL:)

i snap my slk-800 on and off with only my hands. surely it cant get much easier than that (except those coolermaster heatsinks with the lever - but thats cheating lol)

i disagree, i lan every week at my team's sponsor in riverside for wolfenstein, and i bring my computer, and neither of my zalman products (cnps 7000 cu/ heatpipe vga) have snapped or broken, its a solid construction, its just a bad idea to ship a computer UPS with it attached :p

k3nshin said:
yeh be careful with the screwdrivers bec i accidently scratched my mobo...didn't do any damage though :D

Oh yea.. that happens a lot. I actually broke a trace on my MOBO:-/ ... still works though

Although I really *don't* like the heatsink... the X-Dream by Coolermaster is the easiest installation I've ever seen. Actually, almost every clip from that company is the same style... some people have even complained that it was *too* easy... seems to feel weak in comparison to the massive clips used by Swiftech or Zalman.

In my opinion the screw on type heatsinks that use the four holes are far more secure once they are on and far safer to put on. The retention clips are alright but its not as sturdy a design to hold the heatsink on as the screw on type ones are. When people put on the rentention clip heatsinks they tend to either slip with a screwdriver or dont hold the heatsink whilst putting it on and the heatsink slips and can cause damage. With the screw on method its just even pressure put on from the top of the heatsink by four screws and its hard to over tighten the screws because the springs restrict the amount of pressure allowed on each bolt.

Back