• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

General Cooling Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ricky55

Can anyone please help me I've been messed about by my local PC supplier.
I am trying to get an Athlon XP 2400 TBRED processor running on a ASUS A7V8X MB, I have also got the latest BIOS Revision 1012.

The system worked fine with a slower processor, the Athlon XP 2400 but now everytime I set the processor to run at 2700 or (2153mhz) the system resets its self when undertaking processor intensive tasks.

I have PC probe installed on my system and I have noticed that the temperatures increase over 55c is this ok?? onbe other thing that rises is the 12V, this rises over the threshold set by PC probe.

What is this 12V I am totally new to configuring processors etc.

Can anyone suggest a solution, I am using a Global Win FSP 82 heat sink and fan.

any advise or help will be much appreciated, could the power supply have any bearing on this?? I have a 350 watt supply in a lian li PC 7 case.

Thanks very much

Ricky55

although ur temps are relatively high, that doesnt seem to be ur problem with the reboots.. that 12v rising is rather odd, usually voltages on ur PSU drop when the cpu is running intensive tasks such as prime 95.

I think the pinpoint of this problem may be the fact that ur PSU cant feed the juice of such a highly overclocked processor, it takes more power that maybe ur PSU just cannot provide. .. whats ur PSU's brand?

I'm not too sure what brand it is, I didn't spend a lot of money on it so I guess its just cheap unbranded one.

By the way I'm not over clocking the processor yet I'm just trying to get it stable at the speed it should be running at.

Its a Athlon XP 2700 processor.

Do you think it could be the power supply then?

What do you think of the Global FSP 82 fan I am using?

Thanks for replying, this is really starting to anoy me. Is it possible that the CPU could be faulty in some way? having asked this though the system does run fine when its not pushed.

Thanks again mate

it does sound like the power supply isnt giving enought juice/ clean enough voltages. A 300w psu is recomended for a low end amd system, like say a 1700 at stock, but a 2700 is going to need more juice than that.
I see ur in the UK, me 2, see if you can find a sparkle 450W, there pretty cheap, like £30 or so but there good quality stuff.
And the 12v rail going up? that sounds pretty messed up.
And i just noticed, that 2700 speed will be a 333mhz bus, what type of ram are you running?

It may also be that if you set the auto shutdown temperature feature when the cpu gets too hot. Not sure if that mobo supports it though. On the other side, try investing in a psu from a actual company you've heard of before like enermax or antec.

Thanks for that mate that is worth looking into, I do believe the MB has that functionality although I'm not sure if I can turn it off??

The PC is back at my local PC store now and they are trying to find out what is wrong. We tried a new PSU last night and it was still crashing!! one thing we did change was the memory frequency setting, we changed this from 333mhz to Auto and since then it seemed ok.

I've got to ring them in a min to see how it went on over night as the guy was running a CPU test over night.

I'll let you know if / when I get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Ricky55

Back