• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up a NF7 for best results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaos Snake

After reading and testing this is what I found for getting the most out of my NF7-S. So here is a list from when you open up the box to were your ready to start OC'ing

1) Open box
2) Better Northbridge cooling
3) Better Southbridge cooling
4) Heatsink your mosfets
5) Put everything together and see if it boots
6) Flash to Bios 1.4
7) disable APIC
8) Install Windows
9) Get to the Internet
10) install SP1
11) Install nForce drivers from nVidia.com
12) Load everything else
13) Start having mucho OC fun

Now to clarify the list. For the better Northbridge, Southbridge, and mosfets cooling I bought the copper Vantec Iceberq kit, got this cause its cheep and gets the job done. Mounted the Northbridge cooler (used AS3, Temps at 28c), used the smaller of the 2 extra heatsinks for my southbridge (the thermal tape that came with the kit), and cut up the larger one for my mosfets (Artic Alumina thermal adhesive). I did the North and Southbridge right out of the box and put the mosfet heatsinks on a week later. Picked up about 100MHz just by heatsinking the mosfets so its worth putting the heatsinks on. I tryed Bios 1.2, but 1.4 made the system more stable. The same goes for running with APIC off, when you start really pushing your CPU. After you get Windows installed put in SP1. If you have it on disk you can skip step 9) Get to the Internet. If not and your on Cable install the NIC drivers off the Abit CD (just the NIC drivers). Dial up folks just need to install there modem. Then get SP1 and the nForce drivers. Load the rest and your done.

LOL typo there ment for it to say 200. But i have it running stable between 200 and 221. I backed it down so I could put my multy up a notch and I'm slowly getting back up to the 220 mark if my CPU can handle it :)

Back