• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connecting more than one fan????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nikolasmor

I'm a noob obviously, and don't understand how you would hook up more than 1 fan, where would the second fan connect??? or is there a pigtail that comes off the harness? The pics I see don't show any pigtails that's why I'm confused

Hooking up intake and exhaust fans, I want to hook up an 80mm intake fan on the front of my case and 2 80mm exhaust fans on the back and side but once I hook into the fan harness with one fan where do the harness's for the other fans hook up

by pigtails what I mean is this, when you hook up a fan to the harness there can be wires coming back off that plug to allow another fan to hook into it but. I was looking at getting 2 smartfan II's but saw no pigtails so was wondering how I would hook them up

i dont know if those are refered to as pigtails but i could be wrong

anyways, if you fan doesnt have any extensions off of it then i guess the rest is dependent on your power supply

My power supply has 3 chords with 3 molex's on each, i dedicate one to my drive, one to my CPU fan and then the 3'rd to my case fans

It depends on how your fans are tailed. Some fans come untailed (just bare wires) and you'll also find 3-pin and 4-pin connectors. The 4-pins can be connected directly to your power supply and these will often have an extra tail so that you can daisy chain them. If you have 3-pin connectors, you can get adapters to convert them to 4-pin or plug them into your motherboard.

what powersupply do you have, if you've run out then it prolly isnt that great of a PSU and you may want a new one.

But then, you still havnt told us

I have an old Asus P4b and it has the plugs mounted on the mobo for monitering reasons, did you check to see if you have plugs marked chaissis fan on your mobo.you didnt mention what board you were using so just a thought.

if your going to be overclocking I'd suggest you get a new PS altogether, especially if you are upgrading to an abit NF7

is that gonna have enough molex coming off the PS, becasue I want to put at least 3 or 4 fans on, if it doesnt can I just use a bunch of y splitters to continue the chain?

LilBuddy said:
geez guys, all you need is to get a y splitter for the power plugs

This is the same thing as the "pigtails" he was talking about. Check your local PC shop. They should have them. If all else fails and you can't find them, you could always just splice onto an empty molex.

Back