• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

where can I get some quiet 172mm fans? (24v)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
mpja.com has both the 12 and 24v version of their 172mm fan. I run my 12v at 5v and it is near silent while pushing alot af air. if you're gonna use a baybus orr rheostat make sure it is rated for high wattages. (also these guys have some cool heatsinks that i used on my vid card)

While we're on the topic of 172mm fans, does anyone know any good places to get grills for them? I know that directron has some for $6 apiece, but is there anywhere that has them for cheaper?

I wouldn't worry about a rheostat for it. A 24v running at 12vdc should be more than quiet enough.

Anybody have any experience with how quiet these are at 12v? They're listed at 50db at 24v. So if you cut the voltage in half does it cut the db about in half too? I know it probably doesn't, but I'm just wondering.

MrSelfDestruct said:
Anybody have any experience with how quiet these are at 12v? They're listed at 50db at 24v. So if you cut the voltage in half does it cut the db about in half too? I know it probably doesn't, but I'm just wondering.

fron what i hear, no that is not the case, i hear everyone saying the function is logrithmic... but idk what the actual db would be.

when you run one of the 24v versions at 12v, you can only hear the rush of air that the fan creates. And that really only applies if your ear is pretty close to it.

wow, that quiet, huh? Maybe I'll have to give one of these a try instead of the 120mm I was planning on using... It's cheaper too :cool:

yess, i finally re-found this place! ive been looking on an off for the past year for this mpja.com, an i finally found it again. a couple of years ago i got there looking for those clamshell filter things http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=12805+FL , at radioshack they call them ferrite cores i dunno why. ive never heard of a metal called ferrite or anything.

Here's an overkill fan... 4 1/2" baby! (And since its a rack fan, its very quiet). Not many CFMs though....

Here

And those Ferrite core clamshell filters are for wires... It insulates them from interference (if the cables aren't already shielded, mainly for audio)

Cutting voltage to half doesn't cut noise to half. It may be lower than "half" or higher. And remember, at smaller voltage the amperage doesn't stay same, it drops quite a much.

Ffats said:
Here's an overkill fan... 4 1/2" baby! (And since its a rack fan, its very quiet). Not many CFMs though....

Here

And those Ferrite core clamshell filters are for wires... It insulates them from interference (if the cables aren't already shielded, mainly for audio)

The fan that we're talking about is 6.75" in diameter. That fan that you linked to is just an AC 120mm fan.

Back