• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is a good grit sandpaper to lap a NF7-S northbridge with?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ge|atinousFury

I've got my Vantec Copper Iceberq in the mail today and I'm putting it on the NB of my nf7-s tonight and I think I'm putting the stock nb cooler on my sb. What grit sandpaper would I use to lap the NB and SB with, and are the results after lapping the NB and SB worth doing it?

if you have the c1 northbridge, don't lap it (basically, if there is no metal circle embedded in the chip, and the chip's top is all black plastic).

I tried it, and all I did was hurt my arm, and temps didn't improve, either.

else, use some 600/800 and up.

Oh ok, then lapping's out lol.

Well, I have my stock NB heatsink to go on my SB, and the Iceberq to replace my NB heatsink. I'll throw out that thermal tape that came with the Iceberq and use my Arctic Alumina Adhesive for attaching my NB and SB hs/f(s). The only thing is, the adhesive is permanent, and that'd suck if my NB or SB fans ever died..........gotta take chances, though:)

there's no other way to mount the hsf? i haven't got around to looking so sorry if the question appears dumb.

I lapped my SB with 200 grit for a while, and it flattened it out considerably. Then I epoxied a heatsink to it. I can't say for sure if it's helped or not, but it makes me feel a lot better if nothing else.

I can say this much though. I touch the heatsink and it's a lot cooler than the bare SB chip used to be... couldn't even touch that thing before without burning my finger...

Banyan said:
there's no other way to mount the hsf? i haven't got around to looking so sorry if the question appears dumb.

Yeah, the NB has 2 mounting holes but the SB has none.....if I'm not mistaken

mounting on the southbridge

pretty simple really.

go to an automotive supply store (kragens, pep boys,,,,,), get a small tube of superglue gel.

apply thermal paste as you would normally, leaving minute spots at the edges for four VERY small dabs of the gel, immediately put heatsink/fan directly on the chip, press down fairly hard, very small wiggle, and hold for 30 to 45 seconds, walla, attachment accomplished, very easy to remove with a quick twist, and easy to clean up with a bit of acetone shoud RMA ever come into the picture. it will not slag off like frag tape sometimes can.

the glue will cost about $2.

thermal epoxy sucks IMHO.

works for me.

baldy:D

Back