• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

volcano 9 and 47º 2100+ (stock speed)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jo3

is there anything i can do to make my **** cooler, its usually around 45-47 idle or load...it doesnt fluctuate much but i want it cooler so i can oc the sheit. why is it so damn hot D:

and if anyone knows and cheap mods i could do to the cooler and stuff to make it better do tell do tell.

What is the ambient case temperature? Your room temp? You should make sure that there is an even flow of air into and out of the computer, by CFM. So there is a 2 degree difference between idle and load? Another thing is that not all thermistors report correct temperatures they might vary +-10 C., depending if you are saying it is cpu die temp or an under the socket thermistor.
This is not the plus of the volcano 9? I think the voltage is 1.65v?
Showimage.asp

When I was running my volcano9 coolmod it was running really hot, switch out the HSF and all your problems will be solved. :) I went to an SLK-800 and it dropped 10c +.

Don't expect the V9 to be a good overclocker...mine wasn't and I got the slk-800 my temps dropped by 10c across the board(idle-load) you could try laping the bottom of your V9...use artic silver 3 and run the fan on full blast. put a 120mm blowhole on the side of your case pushing air in or just leaving an open case. with that cooler expect noise if you want low temps.

Lapping the base really helps the V9.... look at my temp on my 2100. Before I lapped it it was hovering in the mid 40's at 1.95Ghz.

it's sanding down tha base of a heatsink, to make it flat.

When it's flat it makes better contact with the cpu. This helps it tranfer heat faster, so it stays cooler.

Exactly, the base may seem flat but Thermaltake did a pretty poor job IMHO on the V9 bases, if you rub your fingernail across it you can feel all the machining marks. Lapping it will get rid of them will halp your die make much better contact with the base. Do a search for lapping, there is a guide somewhere in the forum.

Lapping in this situation is good, but I think there are still other factors other than lapping. Case Temps, fan speeds, etc...

now that i think about it my cpu fan is on auto-sensing and for some reason is at 47º right now with the fan at 3900 rpm instead of the 5600 it would do at full boar...idk...maybe ill lap it. but yah thanks guys...and to those who said i should get new heat sink, im lazy, dont work, and get/got 90% of my stuff from friends and parents who i weasled them out of :D go go go team me. ive spent a good 300 dollars including my 19" viewable moniter on all my parts...and if i can get reasonable cooling from the v9 i spent $3 on, i will go for it.

:D

one last thing, whats folding?

Jo3 you have hit the nail on the head. If arranged and working properly, the sensor will not have the fan runing flat out until 55*. If you want it cooler, switch to manual though you should still take a look at your system cooling as has been suggested.

V9's tend not to be of high quality and do benefit from lapping.

i dropped 3C's when i lapped my V9 but it just wasn't enough for me....and if you've never heard your V9 at full tilt, you probably won't like it unless you gotta lot of other noise going on in the background...ha ha.

Jarhead7236 said:
...and if you've never heard your V9 at full tilt, you probably won't like it unless you gotta lot of other noise going on in the background...ha ha.

yah i have heard it...doesnt bother me. im not a noise freak, and i have noise reducing headphones...but then again who doesnt.

:D

how would i go about lapping the hsf? just sand paper? bc i dont see how that would make it any better. i just see it making it more and more rough.

start out w/400 grit, then use 600....believe me, it works...there's a how to in the cooling stickies in the general cooling forum...if you do it well enough, you may even get 4-5C drop....but i think that kinda drop is more the exception...expect a 2-3C drop and you won't be disappointed...

Back