• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

distorted sound in cs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drewthomas14

I downloaded some windows update for the audio driver date april 7,2003. i wasnt having any problems with cs before ,but now after about 10min of playing the sound got really distorted and garbled. my sb wasnt super hot , just warm. i have a hs for it and am gonna install it tomorrow probably. im just wondering if it coulda been the update.

I get that too...thought it was my sb being hot....hmm guess it's the drivers....cause my sb is just cool

haha, I actually posted this same problem a week ago.

First, under the sound options, enable both options(A3D and EAX).
If that doesn't work, put a heatsink on the SB.

I did both of these at the same time and it fixed the problem, so I don't really know which SPECIFIC thing fixed it :D

btw, i didn't use too big of a heatsink on the NB. I purchased a memory cooling kit,and it usually includes two horizontal heatsinks. I got one of them and cut(dremel) it in half,and stuck the two halves on the SB.

Last edited:
should i uninstall that update? i cant find out how to uninstall it though. unless i hafta uninstall the whole nforce2 audio driver

I just re-installed the whole nforce driver package. Although I'm sure you can install just the sound drivers if you want but I don't know how to do this myself.

I am using the nForce 2.03 drivers.

upon reboot i got an almost blank display. i knew it was probably the video drivers needing to be installed so i booted into safemode and unstalled the video card.

still getting the problem. after a bit of gaming it will get really garbled and will stay that way . i haven't had time to put a hs on yet ,but when i do i will report back and tell you guys if it is fixed.

I've been having the same problem as Drew, except that when I try to install the new drivers, the setup program doesn't start. it says starting the setup wizard...etc, but then nothing happens.

I have NF7-S, Radeon 9800 pro, Barton 2800+ and a 2000JB Western Digital hard drive

I still had the problem sometimes. I just switched back to my Santa Cruz Turtle Beach sound card, and all problems went away. :cool:

I don't know if the problems were because of the SB overheating(eventhough I had a heatsink on there), but I like my sound card better now.

Back