• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad airflow - Why??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vertig0

It seems my case doesn't get enough airflow, and I'm not quite sure why.

I've got a Lian-Li PC60 w/ 2 x 80mm front (in), 1 x 80mm back (out), and 1 x 80mm top (out). I've replaced all 4 stock fans with Vantec Stealths. My PSU also has 2 fans, which should help.

The problem is, my CPU temps drop like 6 degrees when I have my side panel off. My case isn't all that cluttered and I'm using rounded cables and such, so I don't understand...

Any suggestions? I mean, without making my case sound like leaf blower, that is.. ^_^ Do you think reversing the direction of the rear fan near the CPU would help? As it is, I've got more air blowing out than in, and the area around my CPU is in real need of some fresh air...

Airflow can be VERY funny....

My first suggestion would be to move slowly- try unplugging a fan before you turn them around. Getting the airflow to the proper areas may be the trick: I would try unplugging the top fan first and see what that does: that may keep the air flowing from the front fans through the case and towards the cpu...

Of course, that is a guess. ;)

Experiment with different things, and let the system run a little while between to stabilize temps.

Note: I would also suggest doing this at 100% cpu load: Seti@Home and Folding@Home are good projects to use for cpu load. :D

Thanks for the suggestions. So you know, I'm currently folding 24/7, so my comp is always under load... :D

i have that exact setup.. when i first put in my blowhole on top of my case i noticed i got better temps... but that might have been because i just put in an nf7-s..

Since you have more air blowing OUT, then the air will come in anywhere it can. You want this to be from the front of the case, so make sure there are no open holes in the back. On my computer I covered an empty fan grill in the back with cardboard covered in masking tape, painted the color of my fan holders (orange). Works great, and keeps that airflow in line :D.

Back