• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ridiculous cpu temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n3lson

i just built a system for my friend with an athlonxp 2000 cooled by a vantec cck-6040 [moves 30cfm]

the processor is not overclocked at all, but b4 i installed windows i checked the bios to peek at the cpu temp and it was 156°F/70°C!!!!!!!

i applied the thermal grease, although had never done so b4; maybe i screwed it up.

i simply applied a layer over the chip and what i think is called the die b4 i put the heatsync on. what i refer to as the die [i could easily be wrong] is the shiny metalic surface the actual chip is on.

the case has an 80mm exhaust and 80mm intake fan.

i ordered a volcano9 to help fix it hoping that the problem is merely an insuffiecient hsf, but please comment if u think something else is the problem.

thx

Take the heatsink off...make sure the layer of paste is thin as it can possibly be on the die...and create a circle on the heatsink in the position where the chip will be...

You don't want it to be thick like toothpaste because that defeats the purpose....

use a piece of plastic to apply it or a sandwich back..(clean one) and put the paste on it with that...make surre its not a thick coating.

thx for ur help guys....

b4 i could read ur responses i read the stickies and from them thinned out my thermal paste....

classic newb mistake; def shoulda read them b4 wasting ur time.

thx neways tho...

btw the comp is stable at 38-39°C [100-102°F]

Back