• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OLMI

yayyaya i did my first mod on my case! it's pretty cool, although i'm warning you it doesnt look all that hot, but still, it's my first mod, so i have to make some sort of a picture gallery/guide thingy... here we go.

Tools I Used:

Nibbler
Dremel
Drill

Total Time: about 2 hours

now for the pictures! yayyay!

nibbler.jpg

It's the nibblerrrrr (you are also graced with the presence of my feet hehe).. really easy to use. other people were telling me it would be really hard to use, but maybe they weren't cutting through aluminum or something... While i was cutting it felt like the case was made out of plastic.. really easy to use. I recommend one for your next blowhole mod if you dont like hole saws

dremel.jpg

Heeyyyyy, it's the dremel..

me: how ya doin mr dremel?
dremel: oh i'm doin crappity crap crappy, how about you?
me: im doin fine mr dremel, thanks for helping me with my case mod, even though you didnt really work too well...
dremel: screw you! i did the best i could with this stupid attachment! and you left aluminum all over it like a jerk!..

ya..

that's pretty much it for the dremel. :D

drill.jpg

the drill yayayya.. i'm sure you all know how to use one... it's green.. and uh, it makes noises and stuff... i needed a hole so i could start nibbling and this seemed like the right tool, seeing as it's meant to make holes and all.. (there was really no reason for me to be in the picture.. i just wanted to show my hair isnt long and red anymore.. i dont know why, i just did. on with the modding.)

nibblinwork.jpg

there is the nibbling work about half done.. that only took about 2 minutes or something..

lookinthroughhole.jpg

that's the hole.. it's not exactly a circle because my fan isnt exactly a circle, and i dont want any extra whirring noises coming out of my case..

dremelin.jpg

the dremel is a great tool for smoothing out all jagged edges caused by a nibbler, but i suck at using it.. well, here i am attempting to use it anyways hehe...

finishedcaseshot.jpg

there's what it looks like from that distance.. sort of ok? right?

up close it looks awful in my opinion, but my friend said it is cool. it might not look like it came with the case, but it gets the job done, right?

right.

well, that's my first mod.. any comments?

hell ya dude :cool: . now i know what i can use to add a fan to the side of my case. i probably would end up using my dremmel with a cutting wheel though since ime an expert at using it :D . then when i go with plexiglass (or whatever) for the side later, ile have to do it again. but that stuff is most the fun. makes you proud of yourself and all that gooply gobly stuff too.

I did the same thing.

64thunderbolt can make you a custom grill to cover it all up.

warenb said:
hell ya dude :cool: . now i know what i can use to add a fan to the side of my case. i probably would end up using my dremmel with a cutting wheel though since ime an expert at using it :D . then when i go with plexiglass (or whatever) for the side later, ile have to do it again. but that stuff is most the fun. makes you proud of yourself and all that gooply gobly stuff too.

i was thinking about using this cutting wheel i saw in the case for the dremel i used but my dad said it wasnt the right kind for the job.. you could try the nibbler and then dremel the pointy edges.. i just suck with the dremel, that's why it didnt come out too hot heh..

sandman001 said:
I did the same thing.

64thunderbolt can make you a custom grill to cover it all up.

that sounds pretty cool.. i wonder how much that costs though...

Mine was $18.00+$4.00 shipping.

it varies with the design, but it's very reasonable.

i think i'm going to get one so it looks nicer... the plain old fan grills look kinda dumb. i didnt want to get one with a design before because tons of people have the good designs already.. if i can come up with something cool to put on their i will do it.

i really couldnt say anything because i put in my new nf7-s when i put in the blowhole.. the temps got cooler but it might have been the new mobo.. they went from around 37 to around 31 or something (not overclocked)

Back