• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ratios and timings for generic ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_Baller

Check my sig for system specs. I am running the latest 1.6 bios. Ok in the soft menu there is the fsb/dram ratios thingy. I see that when the numbers are the same i.e 3/3 or 5/5 naturaly they are in sync I think. But what is the different between 3/3 4/4 5/5/ and 6/6? They are both in sync. And then you can run over to the advanced chipset page and set the timings. I know the very basics on timings. lower = better I hear. I have generic 2 x256 pc3500 in my case. I tryed 2-2-2-6 and others that I saw but it wouldnt post. Do I need to do that disable apic and goto pic thing in the sticky or is that only for fsb? Also should I worry about volt for the ram?

3/3, 4/4, 10000/10000 ratios are all the same, 1:1. Your goal is to keep the CPU and RAM at 1:1. Remember to reduce the CPU multiplier as you increase the FSB.

I don't think you'll ever see PC3500 numbers with 6,2,2,2 timings, since you have generic RAM. That's your biggest problem. I would suggest you set the RAM at its slowest timings. I know it will kill you to do it, but try 15,7,7,3 if you are able. Then run MEMTest86 after you up the FSB. This will tell you what you max FSB will be.

Then you start reducing your timings until you get unstable. But I will almost garuntee you cannot hit those fast timings with generic RAM. Heck, I trouble with Corsair XMS.

Don't play with the voltages yet. You may need to disable APIC if you are having troubles. But, don't get mislead. APIC may not be your trouble if your timings are too fast.

Don't get hung up on timings. IMO they are to fine tune that last 1-2% more out of the machine. You're not there yet. Lol, Wait till next week.;)

My sticks are already on E-bay. Hmm I got a good deal on them because people there are buying them for more :D

I'd say that's your best bet. I didn't believe the posts at first when they said RAM makes a big difference. It does. That is the only component I won't skimp on. It was painful to see 'perfectly good' geberic memory at $25 a stick and then see a Corsair for $150. You get what you pay for when it comes to RAM. Good luck.

Back