• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer "Accident"...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

z1bluecat

Registered
I was sitting here minding my bussiness trying to fix my brothers computer and all of a sudden I heard this "click" from my computer. About 3 seconds latter I started smelling that smell that amds like to make as they are about to fry. In vain I attempted to shut the power off but it was too late; my good old faithful 1.2 athlon is dead.

Turns out the stupid heatsink fell off on me. I am using a volcano 11 and the clip was secure as could be when I reinstalled it just yesterday.

Anyway its time to buy a new cpu and probably a mb too cause I am using an shuttle ak11.

The moral of the story is this: Always make sure your heatsinks are secure and if you ever hear a funny noise run (dont walk) to shut off that power!

dang, sorry to hear ya lost that processor.. i remember a heatsink i had on a vid card fell off on my one time, but that was bceause i used scotch tape :D anyways.. i was glad i liked to keep my computer on my desk where i can see the inside of it heh.. good luck on the fixing

Hey, look at it this way... At least your Heatsink didn't take out an expensive video card or PCI device... and now you have an excuse for an upgrade :D.

well... sry about loosin a processor, he will now go to that great motherboard in the sky.

Maybe the retentions clip was bent and wasnt holding enough pressure on the CPu or maybe it was cracked and just snapped. Either way as soon as the heatsink came off the CPU was a keychain so it doesnt matter how fast you got there. Look on the bright side now you have a good excuse to upgrade:)

Back