• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK-900u with Vantec Tornado Fan.. is installation Hard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squale

I have heard people saying that it is almost impossible to get the Tornado fan on the SLK-900u with the Fan protector on the fan... is this true? How hard is this going to be for me.. I just ordered this setup and should have it tomorrow?

Do I assemble the fan on the heatsink once I put the heatsink on the CPU and bolt it on? Or do I put the fan on the heatsink first and then put it all on together onto the board and cpu?

One suggestion would be to remove the grill on the fan. This will help by allowing the mounting clips with the Slk 900 u to fit properly. Also this helps to cut down on the whine of the tornado at higher rpm (ala a little less noise). It helps to install the heatsink first then install the fan so you can access the screws for the bolt through installation.
Hope this helps...any problems just holler.

aren't you a little afraid running that Tornado in your computer with no fan grill?

Do you think that tornado is powerful enough to take off the tip of your finger if you accidentally stuck your finger in there?

This provides some nice cooling though huh?

I have mine set up that way---no fan grill. Yes I am scared I might get my finger so I am very careful when I am inside my case. Look on the bright side if someone else is inside your case an they get their finger you should have no problem determining who it was.

Don't forget to lap that SLK-900U. It's got enough ridging on the bottom to file your fingernails off.

I thought the slk-900u was perfectly flat and smooth on the bottom?

what do I need to do in order to LAP it?

I thought you weren't supposed to use Wet sandpaper... only Dry?

weird.. I thought I read a review that the slk-900u comes stock very smooth on the bottom and no sanding was needed..

Apparently some SLK heatsinks come with badly machined base and lapping is needed. Check yours and see if it needs lapping.

oh my god i just got my tornado today put it on lapped my slk-800 u sooo loud i don't know if i can get used to this only after 3 hours of usage i think i will go back to my Tt smart fan 2 i only loose 6 cfm but running that full speed is perfect for me.

I think they figured that anyone buying the slk900u was going to lap it anyway, so why waste the time, money and profits.

breez said:
Audioaficionado: That would be just stupid policy, getting bad reviews you know...

Then why is there ridged concentric machine marks on the bottom?

That shows very poor QC on their part. I'd rather they did it on purpose so I don't wonder what else they missed.

I don't believe they would do it on purpose, why do part (most?) of the heatsinks have a good finished base?

can somebody explain exactly how to LAP the heatsink so when I get it today I know what to do?

does the heatsink come with fine grit wet/dry sandpaper or do I need to buy some? anybody recommend to me what type of sandpaper and grit size to get and from where?

No, the heatsink doesn't come with sandpaper :p Hehheh, that would be something really :D

Get 400 - 600 - 800 - 1200 wet/dry sandpapers. Someone could give an url to a lapping guide?

Back