• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Get the heat OUT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreammmatt

yo ho! sup? got a bit of a problem...I was all ready to order the stuff to make my old AC into a waterchiller...but...my dad said i cant beacuse it would heat up the basement...

dont i only needa run it for like 5 minutes, 3 times an hour or so? Would it make that much heat as to heat my basement? And if so...Any ideas on how to remove the heat to the outside? my desk is smack in the center of the basement, not near any windows...and i fear that running pipes outside would like, kinda drop the effectiveness of my chillage-action...and what pump cfg would i need to pump it the 15-20' to the window? Or am I screwed, and should just be happy with my AIR cooling...?

I am kinda distressed, as i've been planning having it next to the box for 2 weeks...and now this...so, any thoughts are appreciated, thanx.

In my system with 17L of coolant, the chiller is on for 15mins off for 25min when there is no load. When there is a full load, the chiller is on for 20 min/off for 20mins.

When the computer is off, the chiller is on for 10mins every hours or so. This depends on the insulation around the res. I have 1.5" of strofoam all around it and heavily insulated tubing.

My computer is 10'x10' bedroom at the top of a house and it does heat up if I use the computer for an extended period (ie > 3hrs).

So your dad is right, it will heat up the room depending on long the computer is on, the ambient temp, insulation, etc, etc.

Make a deal with your dad, if it heats up the basement to much, you will remove it. That way you would still have the fun of building a chiller and possibly be able to use it.

DON'T FORGET, INSULATION IS YOUR FRIEND!

I agree, this is a great idea to try, even if it does heat things up
you will have learned ALOT and maybe your dad will be impressed
by your determination, hell he may even help out sometime :)
the only thing I can say is practice K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid)when putting money into this project.
try to re-use or scavenge any materials you can.
cheers

Back