• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rebooting?!?!?!?!?!!? COoling?!?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stev02

Ok, I just overclocked today to 175 mhz FSB and 12.5v (2.19 Ghz) on my Epox 8rda3+. Should I go and get a Thermaltake Bue Orb for my northbridge? Is this maybe why I'm restarting randomly?

Try to put it back to normal speeds and see if it still does it. If it stops well that was your problem. If it doesnt its prolly your psu. As for the cooling id go with a crystal orb,vantec,or as you said blue orb.

Welcome to the forums!

Random restarts are often due to PSU's, but may be from other factors. If you're going to be overclocking that much, it may still be a good idea to cool that northbridge a little more than just stock- even if you didn't have those random reboot problems.

~Jeff

I agree with both creepy and diggingforgold about the PSU being the problem. If the output power of your PSU is not enough, then your system will most definitively restart all the time. What voltage setting you have for you CPU?

Also it may sound kinda odd but I had a problem like yours before and it turned out my psu plug was bein kinda funny and if my case got touched or the plug got shaken it would unplug from the psu.

Thanks for the help!! I have an Antec True Blue 480 watt Power Supply so I think I have enough power, lol. I will check the cables and run the chip at it's normal speed. I believe my voltage is @ 1.725. I will throw that to default and try this all tonight. Thanks again. Any more info please help. I will post my results tonight.

Stevo

(by the way this is my brother's account, I'm on his PC. So disregard his signature b/c that's ALMOST mine except I don't have 9800 Pro)

Try bumping the fsb down to 170 and try running like 3dmark to check for stability.

Well, first off, I had XP on reboot if there are any problems. So, it's not my power supply. Then I took the FSB to 166 mhz and I am running @ 2.0 Ghz. There are no problems anymore. I will be purchasing a vantec heatsink soon for my northbridge. Then, o/c here I come.

Stevo :D

If I turn off my laser printer while my computer is off... IT will turn my computer ON for some reason.. I do NOT know why.. it just does haha

my friend has that same mobo, and whenever he turns his usb printer on, it turns his computer on too. what's the deal with that?

Back