• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slk-800 or AX-7 on nf7-s w/ vantec iceburg NB hsf

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LkyOldSun

nf7-s board v. 2.0

Is there a real big gain in mhz OC'able with the slk-800 over the ax-7? I will be using a fan that is mid 30's cfm.

I want a nb cooler (vantec iceburg is cheap and available to me at FRY's for $10) and I want either a slk-800 or a ax-7. Will either of these hinder my ability to use an iceburg on my NB?

Last edited:
I think that you will see much better temps with the SLK-800, go with that one. The SLK-800 would probably have a decent mhz advantage over the AX-7.
Good luck!

SLK-800 is great, but IMHO, unless you are a crazy OC'er, save money and get the AX-7...oh wait, all of us here are crazy OC'ers...never mind, get the SLK-800.

i use the slk-800 u on my nf7-s

it works great, and theres plenty of room

but !!! the slk-800 works best with higher 40+ cfm fans

while the ax-7 with its wider grooves i guess youd call em is fine with lower cfm fans

i have a 37cfm fan on my slk-800 but i only got it running at 1800 rpm so its prolly like 20 lol but anyway its keep my cpu cold

I guess if I got the slk-800, it would be proof of my addiction, and what kind of addict would I be if I didn't get a 92MM fan to go with it. Although wanting a quietish pc will keep the cfm available down, I can get more with a 92mm (even though some of that more will escape out the corners).

I guess because this is my 1st build, I don't know what 30 db, or 35 db, or 40 db sounds like.
(I know that 10 db increase=2x the sound to human ears)

i have like 6 fans, 5 at 25db, and one at more or less 20 so we'll just cound the 20 out

25db, if theres 6 of em its logrythmic so its like 32db for the total

(its like a bunch of people talking in a lunchroom, if there were only a few it wouldnt be loud but alot of people it sounds uber loud)

and 32db sounds noticeable, but its "white noise" so its not very noticeable

its only a hair louder than my Gateway

Go with the SLK-800. I had both the SLK-800 and the AX-7 and I found that the SLK-800 cools much better.

how much better? Enough to justify spending $20 more, or almost 2x as much ($22 shipped v. $42 shipped)?

EDIT: Who knows ( or is willing to make an educated guess) how many mhz gain in OC'ng one would gain using a SLK-800 over a AX-7 or SK-7??? (and if you need specifics- a barton 2500, say using 40 cfm 80mm fan, on a NF7-S v. 2.0)

The core temp change is just a few degrees, but what does that translate into MHz OC'ble???

Last edited:
$20 is nothing. The Slk-800's great. If you're gonna overclock you should get a great product to reduce the heat. it's better than having to replace a processor because it was burned to death.

Cypress said:
$20 is nothing....

True, compared to a $100 barton keychain, $20 is a great investment. I maybe should've explained exactly what I was trying to find out a little clearer.

Barton 2500+ will produce X+Y MHz w/ slk-800 @ 45 degrees load

Barton 2500+ will produce X MHz w/ AX-7 @ 45 degrees load

Who can guess what the value of Y is???

OR

Who knows ( or is willing to make an educated guess) how many mhz gain in OC'ng one would gain using a SLK-800 over a AX-7 or SK-7??? (and if you need specifics- a barton 2500+, say using 35-40 cfm (tryin to keep it quietish) 80mm fan, on a NF7-S v. 2.0)

The temp change is a few degrees, but what does that translate into MHz OC'able???

EDIT: You can put a 92 mm fan on a slk-800, it just has to be put on diagonally, and it hangs over so that less % of the cfm are sent roaring over those copper fins, but in turn cools the surrounding area more - just what I understand from my research.

you cant know what y is. some chips will peak for no reason at a random speed. there is no way to tell before hand how a chip is gonna perform. you can always say "well his system got to Z mhz" it really doesnt mean anything unless you chip was made in the same cycle. even then its not guarenteed. go with whatever you feel, but you cant really tell what you gonna get.

My vote is for the SLK. You could skimp a little and get the AX-7, but you really do pay for what you get. Even if it's 3-5 MHz, you will sleep better at night knowing your investment is cooling well. 35db is really not noticable, espically if the rig's on the floor, mine's right next to my monitor, so it's audible, but not bad(40db-ish)

granted, the Y value would be very hard to quantitate.

How about: on average, how many MH'z could one OC raising the temperature 1-2 degrees C. http://www.systemcooling.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=201 This link shows the AX-7 to cool within 1-2 degrees c. of the SLK-800

EDIIT: SLK-800 = $42 shipped, AX-7= $22 shipped. Almost 2 to 1 ratio in price for just 1-2 degrees c. ? As a 1st builder, I don't know, but I don't think I'm that addicted....yet

Last edited:
SK-7 is made of copper as opposed to the AX-7's aluminum. Copper cools better. I personally have an SK-7 because I could not justify spending double on something that frankly wasn't going to do for me what the SK-7 couldn't. But that's me.

ok, does anyone know if a slk-900 (yes, 900- or an slk-800 u) will interfere with using a zalman ZM-NB32J (NB HS) Dimensions : 37(L) X 37(W) X 32(H) mm coupled with a 40mm fan on the NB?

Edit: still on the nf7-S V.2.0

Last edited:
IMHO if you intend to keep the low CFM fan, the difference between the SLK-800 and the AX-7 would be fractions of a degree. With a 80 cfm you might be able to seperate them by a couple of degrees.

My estimate of increased overclockage with 30cfm, 10mhz, with 80 cfm, 100-150 Mhz.

regards,

Road Warrior

Back