• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thermal grease

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raaaaaa

Registered
do you need to put thermal grease on a pentium 1.8 with a stock fan. the reason i ask is that i am tranfering a P4 chip from one board to the other, I know this might be a stupid question but any help would be apreciated

Thermal paste is the most conventional method and would lower your temps considerably but i have been running a [email protected] ghz with nothing between at all then started to experiment with different things Ie: tinfoil i posted my findings here in the forums, was very surprised at the outcome.

Thermal paste is relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things. You would hate to lose a CPU because you wouldn't shell out the extra 10 bucks for the good stuff.

Yes you should use thermal grease. While you may be able to run the machine temporarily without it, the risk is too high to justify not using a tiny amount of thermal grease to protect your CPU.

hanleychan said:
is thermal pad and grease the same thign?

yes, and no. They both serve to transfer heat between your cpu and heatsink, but thermal grease is MUCH more efficient (moves more heat away from your cpu)

Thermal pads are generally "one-use-only".

If you remove the heatsink after you have used a thermal pad, it is a good idea to remove the thermal pad remains from both the CPU and the heatsink, and apply some thermal goop instead. If you reuse a thermal pad, you will probably notice temp increases.

AS3 is the best, but I went to BB and got some Antec Silver. Works about the same. But yeah- thermal pads don't like being reused, so get a rid of them after it's first use and apply some thermal goop in it's place.

It depends. I think the general rule is to wipe it off and reapply. It only takes a tiny amount to ensure a thin even coating. If I'm lazy, sometimes I don't reapply. But if you want the best cooling possible, I would say reapply after the heatsink has been removed and replaced.

EDIT- misread your post. No. Only if contact between the heatsink and CPU has been lost (for example, you remove your heatsink to clean it, and then refit it back on your cpu).

I don't know the exact life expectancy that thermal goop will remain thermally conductive, but I think it should last for the life of the system.

But believe me, you will eventually replace your heatsink or CPU or take off the heatsink for cleaning once in a while. And if you do, thats a good time to wipe and reapply if you feel it's needed.

Thermal goop actually takes a few hours to reach a peak performance state. If you constantly wipe and reapply thermal goop, your thermal goop will constantly be in a state of breaking in. You may not like the temps during this stage.

Last edited:
I used my 2000+ with a volcano 9 with no thermal grease for nearly a year, but I just got an SLK 800 and Arctic Silver 3 and my temps are WAY lower.

Back