• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will a Duron 800 retail hs/fan cool a Palomino 1600+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hawkeye_wx

I have a Duron 800 system with a retail heasink/fan. I also have an Athlon XP Palomino 1600+ cpu sitting on a shelf with nothing to do. I bought it oem and I don't have a spare good quality hs/fan. Would the Duron retail hs/fan be able to keep the Palomino cool? There won't be any game playing on the system, just web surfing and other non-intense applications.

I believe that they all used the same stock HSF. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

The duron 800 puts out about 18W less than the 1600+ Palomino, so watch your temperatures closely at first. You might be just fine, but you don't know if AMD used a lesser heatsink/fan combo because of the lesser thermal load.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use it as a permenant solution, but it will probably get you by.

Pallies take heat very well. My 1700+ was running @ around 65C+ while in a matx case with no case fans. I put my main rigs aeroflow HS/F in and temps immediately dropped to 46C (even with no case fan).

Anyway- it wouldn't be a wise long term solution, but for a week or two- it should do.

yeah it should work as a short term solution, currently running a 1800+ pal with a crappy arx hsf that i used to get 45c temps with my duron 800mhz, now i'm getting 65c idle temps and 75c load temps, but if it wasnt for me having a watercooling system that I am currently fixing, I wouldn't think twice to get a better hsf for permanent use.

Kevin

Back