• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To cut or not

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

John LA

So I just received my Chenming case (see link)

http://www.chenmingusa.com/product1.htm
its an entry level server ATX 601AE - the link won't go there directly
and I'm looking for opinions. The places where the four case fans mount have a grill cut into them from the factory - sooo
should I just cut them out and replace with standard grills? Should I blow off the fan holders at the same time? Any input would be appreciated.

LA

I'd kill the grills in front and just not bother with any grill at all in there.

Then, I'd just leave them on the back.

I like the fan holders, but on the back fans I cut off the big thing along the side as it's pretty fugly.

I agree about the fugly part:)
The grills in the back don't appear too restrictive so I guess I'll give them a shot. But the front is goingneed all the airflow it can get I think, trying to pull air thru the face of the case. Its dremel time!!
Thanks for the opinion.

LA

If you mean a bunch of little holes stamped in the case for the fan to blow through, man, I would. I have read that some stamped fan grills can restict air flow up to 70%. I would do just as you said. Cut them out and slap on some regular old fan grills. I'm not sure what the fan holders look like in your case, but, if they appear to have the potential to restrict flow, IMHO, I would do something about them. Either mod them for better flow,or remove them if possible. Though, if they are not restricting any more than a standard fan grill, I'd probably just leave it alone.

Sorry, I didn't look far enough into your link at the inside. I agree with sandman, and leave the back grills and open the front, and leave the holders.

Sorry again about posting before I got all the facts. CHEERS :)

I recommend tossing the fan holders and fitting two 92mm fans to the back. I use two NMB 50.8cfm 92mm fans (39 cents apiece from directron) in the back and no fans at all in the front. My temperatures are better than they've ever been, and I've had this case for about 3 years now.

On the first go-round I left the rear grilles intact and drilled extra holes around the edges to accomodate the size of the 92mm fans. I used 43cfm Sunon sleeve bearing 92s and it was very quiet. I then cut out the grilles and used the NMB 92s. The noise is a bit more, but not bothersome even though I sleep next to the machine with it running. I can't see where cutting the grilles out made much difference, but I really like 92mm fans in place of the 80mm ones.

Since the case is sealed except for the rear exhaust fans and the front pannel holes, there is no need for intake fans. Whatever air the rear fans expel must enter tha case through the lower front, whether you place fans down there or not. Two 40-50cfm 92mm fans in the rear opening cools very well and is tolerably quiet. Four 80mm fans is louder for a given temperature level.

Thanks for the info Larva, I thinkI'll start with the 80's, but I did think about larger fans to reduce the noise. I may replace the side fan with a larger (maybe a 120) fan, its also an 80.

LA

Back