• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temps too high with sk7!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RobP4P

I just replaced my FalconRock II w/2000rpm fan with a sk-7 with 40cfm panaflo on an a7n8x dlx. My temps are absolutely horrible. I used arctic silver II on the falconrock and ceramique on the sk-7. Sitting at stock speeds on my 2500+ with the sk-7 I'm at:

46C idle/55C load/22C ambient

these are about the same temps for either heatsink!!! I've reapplied and reseated the heatsink 3 times with the same results...WTF??? could my motherboard be reading the temps wrong? The machine seems to be stable up to 2.4 GHZ, but I start seeing temps of 65C at load and I dont really want to buy a new one anytime soon

everytime I take the heatsink off there is a nice rectangular impression of where the core was sitting, and almost all the grease has been squeezed out, leaving just a see through layer on the heatsink and chip. I'm not inexperienced with installing heatsinks, but i've never used these massive things AMD chips seem to need.

any ideas what is going on?

edit: ok, this is rediculous, I just put the side of my case back on and its spiking up to 57C just doing email and an surfing the forum

Last edited:
Check your voltage answers may lay there, but then again, i've never heard of this happening before.

It can't be the sk-7 unless there is visible damage.
You are either seating it wrong or your temps are wrong.

I used an XP2400+ on a KT7A. The heatsink is Alpha 6045 (with 60mm Sunon fan). Right now the machine is at 17*133 = 2260 Mhz (Vcore at 1.78V). Idle temperature is 46C and load temp is 51-52C. When increase voltage to 1.85V or higher, idle temp go up to 52-53C and load temp will go up to the low 60C. My heatsink is much older and not as good as your SK7 and I do not know why our temperature is similar.

when I was overclocking it, I had the voltage at 1.7v, but right now I have it at the default 1.65...and the bios shows its actually only giving it 1.62

Yeah, check the bottom with your finger/nail if it's badly machined. And put the fan to blow against the heatsink if it's not blowing already.

hmm, I guess I should have expected high temps considering that I connected the red panaflo wire to the 5V line instead of the 12V...they should somehow note that the redline of the fan needs to be connected to the yellow/orange line of the PSU.

Back