• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"warped" cpu heat sink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjc_75

I was just curious if anyone had seen this before....

I noticed my idle/load temps on my cpu were not even remotely close ( 39/57 or so) and took a look on the forums.Some one posted that it was likely poor cpu/heatsink interface if you had huge differences. Im using a stock Intel fan on the P4 3.0.

I popped the hs of and was quite shocked...I could see a "ring" in the shape of the very outer edge of the cpu and ummarked thermal compund in the center. I took a few straight edges and checked out the hs and cpu, it seems that the copper plate on the hs is bowed right where the cpu would fit.

Anyways, for a temporary fix I plastered on a little extra compund in the center of the cpu and it seems to have brought me to 39/49, does this look a little closer to the norm on the 3.0Ghz 800 fsb? This is running Folding and SETI at the same time btw.

edit: cpu is running at 3.16 Mhz atm.

Thanks,
C

You have two choices...

1. You can read up on technique and buy supplies to lap your heatsink and from what you describe, this will require much work.

2. Take this opportunity to buy a better heatsink and fan for your system.

Whichever route you take, avoid running that system even with the extra thermal paste if you can.

Option 3.
If it's really bad and you don't want to buy a new heatsink, you could take it to a local machine shop and they can mill the base flat. It'd probably cost a couple bucks ifyou did the sanding. A little more if you have them finish it. It's not really a cost effective fix for a stock cooler, but for a more expensive one it'd work out.

Im ordering a new cooling system in a day or three. Im just slowly trying to get a ballpark figure what this cpu will run at stock speeds and "normal" temps. I'll kind of decide where to go from there.

I was mainly curious how far out in temps I am with this heatsink just to form a basic reference. Ive been at 3160 Mhz for about 15 hours now under load, and may bump it again after work today. I just didnt want to push it too far when things were not optimal, this being my first "real" OC attempt.

Thanks!

C

I'm likely either going to get a water cooling set, or one of those thermo elctric jobs..just have to read up a bit more on the latter.

C

ps... 3300 Mhz for 6hrs of seti and Folding @ 49c

Back