• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Let's Build Phase Change Cooling Systems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

G-PHoRCe

Well before getting started, how do you remove the gas from the old fridge? do you just unplug and take everything apart or there a technic to first take of the gas then take everything into pieces???

Well, it depends on your refrigerant.

If its running anything but r134a, im sure its illegal to just release the refrigerant into the atmosphere (r134a may be too, not sure)

well, many systems have a valve attatched- just open it up.

Sometimes, the system is soldered shut- in which case you will have to cut the tip off.

ok now thw next problem is the evapo... where can i get one? i don't have the proper hardware to make one. but i heard somewhere that i can midify my maze @ waterblock... any ideas?

i don't have the proper hardware to make one.

your either going to have to buy it, or find someone who has it.

Yes, you can modify a waterblock, but its still going to require welding/soldering.

A firend of mine recently completed a phase change system. He had some friends in the auto repair biz that hooked him up with the weldng and HVAC work- got any firends who do car repairs?

there is a guy on xtremesystems.com and phase-change.com called Baker18, he is making and selling high quality tested evap blocks designed by him Bowman.

cool i'll check everythimg you suggest

yeah it is a really hard thing to find but here in new york, every 10 blocks you walk, you can find an old freezer/refrigirator combo on the sidewalk, ...., but the problem is to find that evapo, anyway here wut i was thinking.

my maze 2 waterblock
as%20it.bmp

then here's my idea
modified.bmp

any suggestions???

Last edited:
hey this is great but how much do you think is an evaporator???
if a good waterblock has an average price of $50, how much will be an evapo which require better skill to build?????

Well I think bakers are $100 but if you've looked at the work thats gone into them, its well worth it.

Back