• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Peltier Heatsink cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RyanK27

Registered
I was wondering about this how about would i go setting it up. I was thinking having a regular heatsink then the petier then another heatsink then i fan. Also about ocndensationg how could i stop this i saw something where someone put bubble wrap around the sides of the peltier.

An air cooled peltier will just bring you LOTS of noise. But if you like noise, go ahead. You can use neoprane to prevent condensation on the board. Also use di-eletric grease in and around the cpu/gpu socket.

I don't think I follow you...

Are you going to sandwich a peltier between two (aircooled)heatsinks?
Is you aim to create cold air?
Explain further....

So you want to pelt cool the top of another heatsink? Think only the very top of the heatsink is what gets hot? I just cannot put into words how rediculous this idea sounds but please, Id love to see pics of the guy you said did somethink like this.

For one the coldside of the pelt would get condinsation on it even if you bubble wrapped the sides, providing bubble wrapping a pelt is even possible as I have never seen it done. Any part of the coldside that the heatsink pins wouldnt touch would form condinsation then melt once the pc was turned off.

Then there is the weight issue. You would need to somehow support the weight of both heatsinks so that the board didnt snap in half.

I could probably go on and on and on about how bad of an idea this is and if Im wrong in my interpetation of what you want to do I am truely sorry. Im just trying to possibly save you money for something that would probably fry your system.

Ok, I understand your Idea now.

As animal982 told you it wouldn't work.

If you isolate the second heatsink(to get rid of condensation) it won't be able to add any further cooling, it will be just a "coldplate". A coldplate is something that you need between TEC and CPU. Since the TECs chilling effect is produced all over the TEC you need a peice of metal to concentrate it, to conduct it, to the small cpu-core.

So in your case:
You'd be better off by getting a bigger heatsink for the TEC instead.

-OR-

Gettin rid of the TEC and gettting a really large heatsink.

Back