• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IS7 reports wrong CPU Temp... confirmed..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squale

I have the Abit IS7 and it reports to me through Motherboard Monitor that my CPU core temp is about 41C on average when the computer is idle. On my Thermaltake Xaser III case I have the thermal diode installed like thermaltake says to by putting the diode underneath the CPU chip between the pins. This diode reads about 32C at the same time that MBM 5 is reading from my CPU core a high 41C

So I think this is pretty good proof that the Abit boards DEFINATELY do report temps about 8-10C hotter than they actually are. Supposedly Abit claims they measure the temps from a different chip or something than other manufacturers do and that's why the temps are higher.. but in their minds MORE accurate then the rest. Well I would have to probably trust my Hardcano 9's probe at this point, being I PHYSICALLY installed in under my CPU chip and the CPU chip is sitting smush right ontop of it.

So I am definately convinced now that the IS7/IC7 series of motherboards report temps 8-10C higher then they actually are..

Question.. in order to fit the thermal diode under the CPU chip, I had to bend the diode in half because it was too long. Would this affect temp readings or not?

And when I put the diode under the CPU chip, the CPU chip didn't sit exactly flat in the socket, so I had to manually push down on the CPU chip and then close the socket latch. I think the chip is sitting a bit higher on the side the wires come out then it is on the other side of the chip. Is this is a problem? When I mounted my SLK-900u, I just put it on the chip and then tigheted all the spring loaded screws until they couldn't go anymore..
So does it really matter if you CPU chip doesn't sit exactly flat in the socket and one side is higher then the other?

Back